real time web analytics
Report - - Ambergate Wireworks and Oakhurst House - June 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ambergate Wireworks and Oakhurst House - June 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Pathantius

28DL Member
28DL Member
One of our group had already been to the Wireworks to do a photoshoot for a band and never got round to having a look in Oakhurst House so we decided to do both on the same trip. We would have been silly not to as the house pretty much overlooks the Factories/warehouses!

The Wireworks are very straight forward to get into. They have either had a door kicked in or the boarding on the windows pulled off. Unfortunately I did't get any pictures of the entrances but they are near impossible to miss.

They are pretty bare inside. Lots of greenery growing in them now so not all that much to see. One of the buildings seemed to be a power distribution house of some sort but still not a lot to look at.

Oakhurst House looked very good from the front however, the roof and most of the floors had collapsed making it very unsafe to get around once inside. We managed to get into part of the second storey but had to tread very carefully as the floor looked as though it would give way any second.

Another thing worth mentioning is that there is a cellar underneath the house. Its easy to miss but well worth it when down there! It looks as though it was a wine cellar as there are lots of numbered shelves. It goes without saying you will need a torch down there!

It was once a very grand house built by the Hurst Family in 1848 but got turned into flats in the 1970's. Soon after it was abandoned and has been left to deteriorate.

It is also worth mentioning that before you get to the Wireworks there are a group of small abandoned cottages that are very easy to access. They are pitch black inside so torches are a must and one is in a better condition than the other. Didn't get to spend too long in them but got a few pictures of the inside.

This was the smaller of the warehouses.
27362531972_486c951bb3_b.jpg

Dial from inside the power distribution house.
26852677684_8e2fcca9d1_b.jpg

Pretty much every wall was covered in graffiti.
27427595726_fb56183987_b.jpg

One of the upstairs rooms in Oakhurst House. - You can see the floor above has fallen through.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HQMUHp] 27462776665_9a4b2b28f9_b.jpg

One of the rooms in the cellar.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HQHsQa] 27461909145_b6dac0d3af_b.jpg

Part of a newspaper found in one of the cottages.
26854296783_30f14805c8_b.jpg

I have a fascination with chairs.
27455500335_d47bcfb822_b.jpg

This is my first post on here and I had trouble uploading my pictures - had to use the ones I posted on my Flickr so I apologise for the lack of helpful images.
[/url][/url]

Last edited:

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I had a wander round here the other month, some people hate these sort of places, but I found it quite enjoyable. You have come away with some decent shots.

I am not sure what you meant about having problems uploading your photos and having to use Flickr....that's the way it's done, we don't host any images here (it would cost a fortune in fees if we did that for 20k+ reports!), so by linking to Flickr, you have done it the right way.

Pathantius

28DL Member
28DL Member
I had a wander round here the other month, some people hate these sort of places, but I found it quite enjoyable. You have come away with some decent shots.

I am not sure what you meant about having problems uploading your photos and having to use Flickr....that's the way it's done, we don't host any images here (it would cost a fortune in fees if we did that for 20k+ reports!), so by linking to Flickr, you have done it the right way.

We enjoyed it a fair amount, but we have only just started out urban exploring so anything we do is enjoyable! The safety of the house (or lack of) made it more of a challenge as opposed to enjoyable but was still well worth the visit!

I wasn't too sure how to upload them and read a few things online about uploading strait to the report. I gave up and linked from flickr but if that's the way to do it I'll make sure to upload some better ones onto my flickr.

Thanks for the response and for the info on image uploading!