real time web analytics
Report - - An R.O.C Nuclear Monitoring Post in Northumberland | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - An R.O.C Nuclear Monitoring Post in Northumberland

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tez111

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is an R.O.C Nuclear monitoring post in northumberland. They were built to detect enemy aircraft and detect radioactivity in the event of an attack from the air. They were all equipped with phone lines, air vents, fixed survey meters, bomb power indicators, and ground zero indicators, they were all stood down by 1992.

tez111

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
smashed my good torch in an underground bunker the week before so taped together what i had, the silver torch was off my gfs bike haha

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Ive done so many now there's only the Windsor castle one i want to see.
This one looks quite complete and great condition, they are getting few and far between in thus condition especially as land owners are giving the bits inside away.

tez111

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This one looks quite complete and great condition, they are getting few and far between in thus condition especially as land owners are giving the bits inside away.
there all being burnt out or demolished in northumberland

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Thats such a shame, I always think they should be cherished as part of our history, its not like they are often in the way of development.

Tocsin35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Personally i have been given bits by landowners to put in my 2 post restorations im working on but i mainly try to approach landowners who own posts that have been targeted by repeated break ins and vandalism where the artefacts inside will likely be destroyed if left inside or if they have already been damaged i work on trying to fix them up.

Scotty789

28DL Member
28DL Member
Amazing find. Would love to see it. I have always wanted to visit a fairly intact ROC post as it is a fantastic piece of social history. I visited the one at Ellington. Went round the back fields way which involved quite a trek as I didn't just want to wander over the farmer's field at the front in plain sight - lovely walk mind and there are excellent structures over that way at the start - eventually passing a huge mobile comms tower where you can't help but think of the radiation and through a field of waist high nettles only to find the entrance was a cement block. So, whether they've just poured cement directly in and filled it up or just concreted the top I'm not sure. They must have got sick of us lot tramping over. Either way it's a massive waste.

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 297) View details