real time web analytics
Report - - Another Dover day out. 11/4/21 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Another Dover day out. 11/4/21

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FILOtoby

Tunnels never use to be this tight!!
28DL Full Member
So after a mate wanted to visit DOE we thought we would make a day of it.

few photos of each

started off at st Margaret’s

Part of the tunnel complex is believed to go back to the mid-19th century at least, but the current structure dates from the early part of the Second World War, having been built to protect the beach, a likely invasion point.

up to z-rocket for a quick blast through. Beams are getting worse on the entrance tunnel :(

then up to Arrow and east Demi.

East Demi Bastion was constructed as part of a 19th Century upgrade of Dover Castle's defences. Projecting from the East Ditch, it is located next to the cliff edge and combines a fortified guardroom, a gun battery (on the surface of the bastion) and underground tunnels. Entrances to the bastion were from a doorway in the East Ditch and from a staircase within the Castle itself. The guardroom (at ditch level) has numerous original features remaining, including a Victorian fireplace and metal frames around the windows. A staircase from within the guardroom complex leads down to a set of tunnels within the cliffs. A brick lined parabolic vaulted chamber then leads to two lookout holes in the cliff face above the Eastern Docks. The structural state of the bastion is good, but there has been little repair in recent years and it remains out of bounds to the general public

quick lunch break before hitting D.O.E and the upper and lower oil mills.

The tunnels, located behind a quarried chalk face in Limekiln Street in Dover, are early 19th century in origin and were reputedly built by Napoleonic prisoners of war using earlier lime workings. They would have been built to provide storage, and were linked to a section of the Oil Mills tunnels to the west. Some of the brickwork is of a very high standard, particularly to the vaulted tunnels set back from the cliff face and to several domes which may have been rooflit originally via oculi

then finally north and south casemates.

Also sneaked in another quickie to Townsend, but

View attachment

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Always nice to see a dover day out, missed esplanades by about a day or so

and you did st mags esplanade tunnel, nice climb up

FILOtoby

28DL Full Member

The climb was higher then it was 10 years back .

Stimpakman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Think its safe to say we're all aching somewhat today. Was a good day out, never get tired of what Dover has to offer

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Think its safe to say we're all aching somewhat today. Was a good day out, never get tired of what Dover has to offer
I miss when some of the4 not so local lads would come down ,and we would do as many locations as we could squeeze in, always something half decent to see in Dover

Stimpakman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I miss when some of the4 not so local lads would come down ,and we would do as many locations as we could squeeze in, always something half decent to see in Dover
Been doing Dover for over 20 years on and off, always something new to find once you put the research in. I don't think myself or FILOtoby will ever get tired of the place.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Been doing Dover for over 20 years on and off, always something new to find once you put the research in. I don't think myself or FILOtoby will ever get tired of the place.
I must admit its been a good few years since ive been to dover exploring, well exploring full stop. may drag my arse out over the summer

Stimpakman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
By what I heard and saw - they cemented the back up and some kids undone there works
We heard the same thing, didn't go near esplanade as thought it had been resealed... later found out the seal lasted 6 hours. Starting to look a bit trashed in there now unfortunately. Glad we went before the tourbus/local kids got in there.

FILOtoby

28DL Full Member
I must admit its been a good few years since ive been to dover exploring, well exploring full stop. may drag my arse out over the summer
Been going there since 08, always something new or different down there :) get down in the summer :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 185) View details