real time web analytics
Report - - Anpant7 and Siksty4's visit to Sandsend Railway Tunnel Visit 27/01/08 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Anpant7 and Siksty4's visit to Sandsend Railway Tunnel Visit 27/01/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

antpant7

28DL Member
28DL Member
It’s Sunday morning and the weather is half decent for a change so me and Siksty4 decided to take a trip up to Sandsend. Along the disused Whitby, Redcar and Middlesbrough Union Railway stands the 1 mile long single bore tunnel through the cliffs. Access is relatively easy so in we went armed with 3.5 million candle light torch, a Fuji Finepix 6500 oh and some A4 transparent coloured stationary dividers.

Also have a look at the video we made last year .

DSCF2484-600.jpg

Once inside a void of blackness and water drops awaited us.

DSCF2501-600.jpg

Looking back really puts things into perspective.

DSCF2508-600.jpg

Now to checkout Siksty4's new Christmas present (3.5m candlelight torch)....

DSCF2514-600.jpg

Yep it works ....

DSCF2517-600.jpg

Further down the tunnel we came to the 2nd Airshaft with a river flowing through it and down to the right through a drainage tunnel.

Now this is where the transparent coloured stationary binders came in, by placing them over the torch we created a great effect.

DSCF2522-600.jpg

Looking right down the drainage tunnel leading out to sea.

DSCF2523-600.jpg

Stood in the drainage tunnel looking up at the Airshaft using our makeshift filter. Looks like something out of War of the Worlds.

DSCF2527-600.jpg

Finally looking back.

DSCF2529-600.jpg

On this visit this is as far as we got due to limited battery power with the torches. However a future visit is planned real soon. I have been right through this tunnel before and you can get right through easily. Prepared to get really wet though and theres some pretty nasty holes to fall down as i nearly found out. Its not for the faint hearted but really worth a visit. Check out Siksty4's post for more pics of this visit using some effects.

Click here to learn a brief history of the line.
Whitby, Redcar and Middlesbrough Union Railway - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details