real time web analytics
Any recommendations for a powerful hand held torch? | General Exploring Chat Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Any recommendations for a powerful hand held torch?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Absolutely right about the chargers and batteries that come with the cheap Chinese CREE torches. The torches themselves are fine but the batteries in the bundles are always fake and the chargers often unfused and dangerous. Best to buy the torch on its own and pick a good quality charger and batteries separately.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Absolutely right about the chargers and batteries that come with the cheap Chinese CREE torches. The torches themselves are fine but the batteries in the bundles are always fake and the chargers often unfused and dangerous. Best to buy the torch on its own and pick a good quality charger and batteries separately.

i have has some T6 torches with various different names that all have failed but i still have a trustfire TR-3t6 that's been going about 3 years now with no real issue..get nitecore intelli charger and even the cheap battery's are safe to leave charging..checking if the battery's you get if cheap have the protection chip in them is useful..some ive got are shorter in size than others..But if you can afford to buy decent ones

Kirkymole

Banned
Banned
Your local Asda might have a nice selection of torches, ours does (Melksham), but then Trowbridge Asda doesn't. They are made by a company called Everbrite, come in various sizes, battery and lumen options. Seem pretty decent for the prices.

TheDarkSide

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A couple of guys that I explore with have Lenser P7r's and they're very happy with them, bit on the expensive side at about £80 but they do seem very good. The P7.2 is pretty much your standard explorers torch but not that bright IMO, its not really enough for lighting up large underground locations, mines, etc... Fine for everything else though, and reliable
Just checked out the P7r on YouTube. That defiantly looks like a lot of bang for buck. Think I might have to get myself one of these. For £80 you cant go wrong!

I appreciate everyone's input! Really helpful!

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I've got a Fenix E15, a little keyring sized torch that has 450 lumens. Carry it with all the time, its an amazing backup torch. I'd imagine a big Fenix like the FD40 would be very good indeed, just costs a lot!

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
My favourite light painting tool is a the CN-160 video light. Its super cheap too. It doesn't throw light super far, but it will light a whole room up with ease.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Nitecore all the way for 18650's and charger if you can stretch to them. I have two 4 battery chargers which charge almost every kind of battery and 4 nitecore batteries for my skyray.

I Also have a shedload of cheapy 18650's which work really well, as long as you have a decent charger with overcharge circuits you can get away with cheap batteries.

My cheapo £5 cree torches outlast my lensers every time if I'm using them as my main walking torch.

I also looked into those crazy sunburst torches or whatever you call them and decided that lugging something that size around was not a good idea.

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Bare in mind this is a 2017 thread, things have moved on a bit since. Check out my torch buying guide for 2021 if you want some more up-to-date ideas!

leavenoprints

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've got a couple of Lensers, but love my Olight Seeker 2. The battery is a bit funny as its a custom fit, but looks like a 18650. Lasts ages though and has a handy magnetic charger that you can wall mount.

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I've got a couple of Lensers, but love my Olight Seeker 2. The battery is a bit funny as its a custom fit, but looks like a 18650. Lasts ages though and has a handy magnetic charger that you can wall mount.
Biggest bug bear of Olight that, proprietary batteries. Just annoying!