real time web analytics
Question - - Anyone know what this might be ? | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Anyone know what this might be ?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Digger_dave78

28DL Member
28DL Member
80AE7FB4-B6ED-4339-B7BA-6A32782EDB00.jpeg
F94D8B0A-2C38-460E-AFF0-A537CA5B8687.jpeg

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
It looks like a vent for something, but it's difficult to say with out any context. Where is it - farmer's field, local city centre park, side of the road, your back garden? Are there any more? Is there anything else nearby or is it on it's own? How big is it? Have you tried shining a torch down one hole and looking down another? It looks like there's a lid / cover. Have you tried lifting it?

Digger_dave78

28DL Member
28DL Member
It looks like a vent for something, but it's difficult to say with out any context. Where is it - farmer's field, local city centre park, side of the road, your back gardener? Are there any more? Is there anything else nearby or is it on it's own? How big is it? Have you tried shining a torch down one hole and looking down another? It looks like there's a lid / cover. Have you tried lifting it?

Hi Yorrick

I found it today on my travels looking for places to metal detect.
It’s on the edge of a field.
I am going back tomorrow night time as the road can be seen from the distance.
The manhole looks like it has 4 screws 1 on each corner
I have a set of manhole key lifters in my van as I’m a builder anyway.
It will be very heavy to lift as it’s a recessed manhole hole filled with sand and cement.
I’ll take my torch tomorrow and report back then.
I’m hoping it’s a bunker.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
At the edge of a field it's unlikely to be an ARP shelter or utilities related. It's possibly an ROC Post. There's a map-by-counties here that shows most of them.

Have a look at some of the ROC reports here so you know what you're looking for through those holes - ladder, counterweight, pump, drain grill etc

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
I think it's a telecoms plinth for a mast that was never errected. They don't look like 4 screws in the corner of the lid, just holes for lifting keys.