real time web analytics
Report - - Anyone? Tangle wood, Redgrave (Norfolk) possible ice house? 25/10/15 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Anyone? Tangle wood, Redgrave (Norfolk) possible ice house? 25/10/15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Killerkelly03

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi all,
Today whilst out dog walking with my sister in sunny(!!!) Norfolk, I came across this.
To me it looks like an ice house structure similar to one I've seen at Lydiard Park in Swindon - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Locati...8-Lydiard_Park-Swindon_Wiltshire_England.html

I could be wrong, might be a giant kiln or something - am struggling to find anything on the site as I'm not sure what it is, but was great to stick my head in :)
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Is in the middle of a wood named locally as "Tangle Wood" which is in Redgrave, near Diss.
Thanks for reading, enjoy the pics!

Last edited by a moderator:

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Looks very much like an ice house. Maybe there was a large house nearby? Maybe since demolished?? Worth having a rake in the bottom there and see if there's anything interesting been dumped over the years.

Killerkelly03

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I did consider it but wasn't sure on how deep it went or how sturdy the floor was, is pitch black inside too!
Hopefully by posting it up it will take someone's interest and someone braver than me will go and explore further ;-) I'm guessing the house must've been demolished or is quite a walk away...
Glad I'm not the only one thinking ice house!

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Aye certainly an ice house. There is a good preserved one at Avoncroft museum if your ever in the area and want to see one without the crap at the bottom

befunky_ice-house-2.jpg

Apparently it was fashionable to serve sorbet, crushed frozen fruit and of course chilled drinks in the 1700's. Amazingly these little things would keep ice solid up until late spring!

Killerkelly03

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That definitely looks like the place yup! My mums garden backs onto the field by these woods, she'd mentioned seeing something up there and I was out the door like a shot, she's never seen me so keen to walk her yappy little ankle biters ;)
Obviously I took my hound along too.... Be rude not to :-)

AndyWa

28DL Member
28DL Member