real time web analytics
Report - - Archcliffe Galleries and St.Martins Deep Shelter Dover 01/2011 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Archcliffe Galleries and St.Martins Deep Shelter Dover 01/2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

O

Oldskool

Just to finish off my Dover trip...

Archcliffe Galleries

_DSC1933.jpg

The road “improvementsâ€￾ that took place in the 1960’s meant the demolition of Archcliffe Gate and the surrounding ditch to be filled in. Fortunately the galleries that were inside the gateway were left untouched, as were some of the surrounding walls. These walls would have housed defensive features such as gunrooms and the necessary means of ventilation to allow smoke created by the guns to escape.

Close to the galleries and guardroom are the rooms that were used as cells.

_DSC1947.jpg

_DSC1945.jpg

_DSC1939.jpg

_DSC1935.jpg

_DSC1934.jpg

_DSC1929.jpg

_DSC1927-1.jpg

Saw this bits of what i think is fungi or moss,looks cool i thought..

DSC_1981.jpg

St.Martins Deep Shelter...

_DSC1959.jpg

Originally constructed during the Victorian era, St. Martin's Battery was extensively rebuilt and updated during the Second World War. At the rear of the gun positions the Victorian brickwork is still clearly visible, along with the contemporary expense magazines. Directly behind the battery is the deep shelter. This was constructed originally as a main magazine to supply the battery guns, but was extensively lengthened during the war to become a deep shelter. The deep shelter is now in poor condition, many parts having suffered from smoke damage and collapse.

_DSC1970.jpg

_DSC1967.jpg

_DSC1961.jpg

_DSC1960.jpg

Thanks for looking Oldskool

cheers to Wevsky for the hook up..........​