real time web analytics
Report - - Ardeer Nobel Explosives.. Scotland 2018 | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ardeer Nobel Explosives.. Scotland 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I've had this place pinned for ages now (I found it on satellite imagery), and today I decided to do research and found the name and made me laugh when I see the first report come up was you.. because I said to myself I might message you about it to ask what it is if I couldn't find anything because I know you've been pretty much everywhere known to man :rofl

Awesome report mate the pics are amazing - shame it's like 8/9 hours away I'd love to do that one!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I've had this place pinned for ages now (I found it on satellite imagery), and today I decided to do research and found the name and made me laugh when I see the first report come up was you.. because I said to myself I might message you about it to ask what it is if I couldn't find anything because I know you've been pretty much everywhere known to man :rofl

Awesome report mate the pics are amazing - shame it's like 8/9 hours away I'd love to do that one!
Ha ha I wished I had been everywhere mate. It's really close the girlfriend so had the whole day to spend there. Great place if up in Scotland. The whole site is massive and did not complete it at all.

Sheepdisease

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was on the site last week to check out "The Big Idea" museum and was amazed at how there was active security there, despite it being closed since 2003. There were three security vehicles on site and cameras around the entire perimeter of the fence that now surrounds the building.

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Near the top you have a photograph of the building with the little tower. Inside is some sort of vertical track with steel rope that must have pulled a cart to the top.
The power station doors have been sealed up with mounds of earth and metal plates since your visit. It is still possible to get in but the metal staircases have been cut down because they're rusting to bits.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This is high up on my list to do, had a quick look at entrance buildings once but didnt have time to go in its such a nice place that nature has reclaimed.
Particularly like the bit with the rail tracks in

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Near the top you have a photograph of the building with the little tower. Inside is some sort of vertical track with steel rope that must have pulled a cart to the top.
The power station doors have been sealed up with mounds of earth and metal plates since your visit. It is still possible to get in but the metal staircases have been cut down because they're rusting to bits.
I missed that little track, does sound interesting though. Was mounds when I went with one little way in. So you cannot get up top now to the turbines and boilers anymore then.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This is high up on my list to do, had a quick look at entrance buildings once but didnt have time to go in its such a nice place that nature has reclaimed.
Particularly like the bit with the rail tracks in
Yeah mate so much to see other than the power station. But only if you have a day and are willing to walk a lot and fight with the greenery.

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
Found this non updated article at Secret Scotland - ICI Ardeer which mentions some of the chemistry including nitrocellulose - NC - also known as gun cotton which I did technical support in UK for the German company for 8 years from 1986. I've noticed one NC signs in your pictures. Another old chemical paper can be found at The New ICI Nitric Acid Plant at Ardeer - technology.matthey.com - probably not of interest to most - and this futuristic development brownfield plan at Ardeer

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So you cannot get up top now to the turbines and boilers anymore then.
You could possibly climb up to the next level or use a telescopic ladder. The condition of the staircase that was on the floor was shocking. The metal treads crumbled to dust when I stood on them. It's getting really dangerous. It's a real bind because I wanted to reach the roof and have a view over the site.

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Found this non updated article at Secret Scotland - ICI Ardeer which mentions some of the chemistry including nitrocellulose - NC - also known as gun cotton which I did technical support in UK for the German company for 8 years from 1986. I've noticed one NC signs in your pictures. Another old chemical paper can be found at The New ICI Nitric Acid Plant at Ardeer - technology.matthey.com - probably not of interest to most - and this futuristic development brownfield plan at Ardeer
There's a good article based on the Caerwent factory which also produced Nitro Cellulose as well as Nitro Glycerine.
Expand the third comment down in this link and there's a complete paste of the book's contents.

The nitrocellulose used in Naval propellant was manufactured from pure
cellulose received in the form of paper reels.
Rolls of paper were made up of alternating layers of plain and corrugated
papers at the Paper Preparation Room. The "Scrolls" were made of 16 lb.
double crown thickness paper (7 1/2" wide and 22" in diameter, weighing 8
3/4 lb.) and were produced by the 10 paper corrugating and scrolling
machines. Total output varied from 150 to 200 scrolls per hour. The room
could also accommodate 1,400 finished scrolls.

The doorway to the connecting corridor to the next stage in the process
formed the point of demarcation between the clean floor of the Paper
Preparation Room and the acid floor of the Nitrating House. Here, as in all
parts of the factory, all acid floors and walls exposed to acid fumes were
made of Accrington Nori brick.

At the Nitrating House they were placed in groups of four, each group being
known as a "Pan", and further bundled into groups of 4 Pans, making a "Set".
Therefore there were 16 Scrolls of paper in a Set. There were 10 Sets in the
room, making a total of 2,000 lb. of Nitro-cellulose being prepared at any
one time. The Scrolls were dipped in mixture of 63% Sulphuric Acid, 22%
Nitric Acid and 15% water. After dipping the paper was left to soak for a
further 2˝ hours. Fume extraction hoods covered the pans during the dipping
operation, but were removed after a top seal of water had been distributed
over the surface of the acid. Then the spent acids were displaced by the
action of pumping water in to the pans. These acids were run along gutters
and into denitration towers for further processing.

The Scrolls were then moved by hand-propelled trucks to the Vat House. The
2,000 lbs of material prepared in the Nitrating House filled one vat. Each
vat was 9'6" in diameter and 7'6" high, made of wood, barrel fashion with
constricting iron bands, and were lined with antimonial lead. There are 28
openings in the floor, therefore, during periods of maximum production,
there was storage space for a total capacity for 56,000 lbs of
Nitro-cellulose in this particular room.

The contents of the vats were boiled by the application of steam heating.
The sequence consisted of two 12 hour boils, followed by four 4 hour boils,
and finally a 1 hour boil. After cooling the liquid was drained off, the
Scrolls unloaded and moved to the final stage at the Pulping & Blending
House.

In this final room the process machinery included 7 beaters, 6 potchers, 4
blenders (with grit extractors), and hydroextractors.

The beaters were cast iron sloping troughs, about 16 ft long. Rolls of paper
from the vat house were pulped, in water, by a 4.6 ton roller driven at 180
r.p.m. for 4 hours. The resulting nitrocellulose pulp was pumped away
through a 4" valve.

Water soluble impurities and light insoluble material were removed bv the
Potchers, essentially large centrifugal separators, supported on stilts.
These 11 ft diameter, shallow conical, tile lined vessels could handle two
beater loads of material at a time. Washing was carried out by skimming off
the excess water from the top of the material after settling, utilising a
skimmer supported by a ball float.

The blending tanks were tile lined with pump injection circulation, and
could handle 5 vat loads in pulp form. The pulp slurry needed to be diluted
before passing on to the grit extractors. Capable of handling 500 lb., the
centrifugal hydroextractors were used for wringing the nitrocellulose.

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I missed that little track, does sound interesting though. Was mounds when I went with one little way in. So you cannot get up top now to the turbines and boilers anymore then.
This is it: https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/attachments/img_4539_zpsjp7mqb1d-jpg.922398/

Capture.JPG

Who has read this thread (Total: 230) View details