Question - Are maps useful for urban exploration and finding new places?

• Welcome to - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sep 7, 2015
Would a OS Map be useful to find new places to explore? Or should I just rely on google maps?

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Oct 14, 2012
I have found new places using OS maps; but they have often been a bit too far gone to be honest
However, they are useful in finding tunnels & culverts if that's your bag (shrug)

Bertie Bollockbrains

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sep 1, 2014
Bit of a traditionalist myself and still use old fashioned paper maps. Wouldn't even know how to turn on a sat nav myself.

OS maps do show places marked with words such as "shaft" or "derelict" which is useful and worth investigating. OS maps will reveal old unused railway and canal tunnels but really Google Streetview is the winner in this game and often identify the access points before you even leave home.