real time web analytics
28DL and UE in the News - "Are 'Urban Explorers' putting lives at risk?" - Sleaford standard. 29:04:10 | 28DL and Urban Exploring in the News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

28DL and UE in the News "Are 'Urban Explorers' putting lives at risk?" - Sleaford standard. 29:04:10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Wanderingbear - welcome to 28DL, cheers for the post.(I've reposted this with a better title/link etc.)

OK, not my find, big thanks to 'Wanderingbear' - new member that posted this:

Front page boys and girls.

I was getting some food and drink from the local garage yesterday morning when I saw our local rag, The Sleaford Standard. The whole of the front page devoted to Urbexing and some quotes from the 28dl website. Saw dweebs name mentioned but was short on time and really hungry with on ly change for todays snap so couldn't buy a copy. You can get to it by googling Sleaford standard and then going to news.

Here's the front page, but I can't see the full story on their website as yet - so Wanderingbear (or anyone else local) - you know your mission (hint - it involves a hand full of silver and a scanner/camera)

MSSP-28-04-10-001-MSSP.gif

Picture is sleaford Maltings - but not tracked down who's it is yet.

Sty'

Last edited:

Sparky74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for that Styru. I don't see their issue, if anyone is at risk it's the explorer? and i believe we all know the risks taken and the possible conciquences? just someone interfearing as normal:banghead would be good if anyone around there can give the full story.

Treadstone

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
(a) I can get to their site but a search for explorers finds nothing :-(
(b) The answer to the question is yes....

Everything carries some risk. I scuba dive, which has multiple ways to die that you try to avoid - I think people who go in caves lack a sense of self preservation - see this. Scuba diving is less dangerous than horse riding most parents will let their child go on a pony. (On the same subject: in the US where people have hand guns legally at home, fewer children are shot per domestic gun, than drown per domestic swimming pool. But which seems more risky ? )
In terms of Deaths per participant hour bowls is the biggest killer in the country.

Now... if someone wants to have proper discussion about whether explorers have regard for their own safety, or if they are reckless - and by being reckless endanger others - that's fine. We can do a proper, objective comparison with Diving, Caving, Climbing, Hill Walking, Horse Riding, Gliding, Parachuting and Yachting (which has more than its share ofIdiots who need to be rescued ). It sounds callas, but, a parachutist who takes too many risks doesn't need others put in harms way to rescue them in the way that (say) foolish Hill Walkers do. All 3 times I've seen anger on dive boats have been when people did something which would have endangered a rescuer as well as themselves. That is a far more serious offence IMHO

A lot of people do more than one from that list, does anybody seriously think if they stopped doing one they wouldn't bring risk into their life some other way ...
I can't find the exact wording but there's a quote / saying along the lines of "It is only when we think about dieing that we realise why we want to be alive".

mrjonesybop

Derp?
28DL Full Member
"Are 'Urban Explorers' putting lives at risk?" - No.

In fact, it'd be putting lives at risk to make UE illegal - Because we'd all die of boredom! ;)

snappel

BMW 4 LIFE
28DL Full Member
Being born puts lives at risk. Everybody dies, right? So how about laying into the local maternity ward instead?

What's the prize for living a boring, uneventful, riskfree* life? Please, someone tell me, I'm dying to know (just spotted the pun!).

*Terms and conditions apply. Riskfree life excludes cancer, smoking related illnesses, death from otherwise natural causes, unprovoked attack, rape, ungrateful grandchildren, falling 'victim' to APR, death by road accident, crashing aeroplane or lack of will to live.

zimbob

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In terms of Deaths per participant hour bowls is the biggest killer in the country.

:eek: Never knew my grandparents were so hardcore :cool:

This issue/debate comes up often enough, it's down to individual responsibility, everything in life has some sort of risk attached to it :rolleyes:

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
"Are 'Urban Explorers' putting lives at risk?" - No.

In fact, it'd be putting lives at risk to make UE illegal - Because we'd all die of boredom! ;)

How can you make a term such as 'UE' illegal? Eliments of it are covered by a multitude of laws & bylaws already, Thats what gives it the BUZZ

If you want a risk free, legal life, then visit an art gallery or musium during opening hours of course LoL

The bisggest problem UE has as a pasttime is that it is confussed with Arson [Burn, Burn, Burn], Chavs [Trash the place] & Pikies [Nick everything of value] and not an Innocent "Take only pictures, Leave only footprints' sort of image most of us try to keep to.

Hidden

28DL Full Member
I drive on the M60 to work every morning, next to stupid dolls in BMW's and 21 ton articulated lorries, I could crash or be crushed.

I work in a call centre, where a headset cord dangles close to my throat, I could strangle myself.

I drink coffee and tea from a vending machine where the windows are wide open, I could fall out.

Funnily, puddles frequently appear when raining, if I fell face first and couldn't be arsed moving, I could drown.

I explore abandoned buildings with rotting floors, falling debris and asbestos galore, I could fall through and die.

I also think that anything has risk attached, ANYTHING.

There, I said it.

Sparky74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I drive on the M60 to work every morning, next to stupid dolls in BMW's and 21 ton articulated lorries, I could crash or be crushed.

I work in a call centre, where a headset cord dangles close to my throat, I could strangle myself.

I drink coffee and tea from a vending machine where the windows are wide open, I could fall out.

Funnily, puddles frequently appear when raining, if I fell face first and couldn't be arsed moving, I could drown.

I explore abandoned buildings with rotting floors, falling debris and asbestos galore, I could fall through and die.

I also think that anything has risk attached, ANYTHING.

There, I said it.

And very well said it was:thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.