real time web analytics
28DL and UE in the News - "Are 'Urban Explorers' putting lives at risk?" - Sleaford standard. 29:04:10 | 28DL and Urban Exploring in the News... | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

28DL and UE in the News "Are 'Urban Explorers' putting lives at risk?" - Sleaford standard. 29:04:10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
If that's a double decker bus :Not Worthy:Not Worthy

Rant: Activated.

Its actually what they call an FTR, a big lump of bendy bus. A complete waste of council money, costing in excess of £300,000 for each 'FTR'. Yes, its not a bus, you have to call it an FTR, and when reffering to the driver, you have to call him the pilot, not the driver. I once had this discussion with a Ticketer ..."Whats he doing?" "Hes at control of the FTR sir" "No, hes driving, and whats he driving? A bus. The 'FTR's' where not needed, there was ample amounts of fairly modern double deckers already on the route, and the best thing is, the bendy bus ftr concept provides no more seats than a double decker.

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
There's a really good book by John Adams called "Risk" - quite academic, but very good for anyone interested in this kind of thing. It explains why bike helmets cause more deaths, why compulsory seatbelt laws killed pedestrians, and other things like that.

The one take-home concept is the "risk thermostat" - every one of us has a risk thermostat, set at a level of risk we're happy with. Some people have it set higher than others, but for each person it's remarkably constant, and it controls out behaviour. If we feel something is safe, we take less care, if something feels dangerous we're much more careful.

This is obvious when you think about it - most of us would think nothing of walking along a line of kerbstones, but on a girder the same width 100ft off the ground we'd be very different. Car drivers drive faster when they have seatbelts and airbags.

I

inbleed

I wonder if anyone got hit by a car or something going to buy that newspaper..

Treadstone

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Reading down this , and looking at the headline again I would like to know if the question was
"Are urban explorers putting [THEIR] Lives at Risk" or
"Are urban explorers putting [OTHERS'] Lives at Risk"

If it is the former then the response is "Read the work bencooper refers to , we'd be doing something else if we weren't exploring."

If the suggestion is that we jeopardize others... there is a case to answer. Take people who climb cranes, if they fall there it wouldn't put anyone else's life at risk. But if they were to start the crane up ... I've never heard of anyone doing that. If someone who has gone into a drain needs to be rescued, that may put a rescuer's life in danger. Some security guard might chase an explorer ignoring his own safety rules, and come to harm. And so on. But is the amount of danger and the likelihood of it happening any greater than activities which the paper thinks of as legitimate ? I don't think so; I'm more likely to kill or injure someone when driving to a site and home afterwards than when exploring it. And are the number of people taking part enough to constitute a problem ?

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
I'd turn it around - people who work as firemen, police officers, mountain rescuers etc take on the job knowing that they'll be putting their lives at risk to rescue others. Exactly how they do that doesn't matter - there's no difference between a fireman going into a drain to rescue an urbexer and a fireman going into a burning house to rescue a man who smoked in bed.

If you don't want to risk your life to help others, don't do that kind of job - simple.

Medusa

28DL Member
28DL Member
Come on! Stepping out of your front door and the wonderful commute to work could be classed as "putting lives at risk" How many people die in pile ups every year?

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
"I cannot understand why they would want to be there..." best quote ever! Now fuck off home to Britain's got a jungle pop ice rink you boring uncultured woman!

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
I wonder if they'll publish any of the letters or e-mails they've probably received as a result of this article, as it does invite comment at the end?

LittleMike

Do. Find. Drains.
28DL Full Member
Stay tuned for next weeks article "Are Sleaford Standard readers putting their lives at risk"? Urban explorers say no, because they have no lives.

Squirrell 911

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fuck me, If you have got less than 6 fingers on each hand in Sleaford then you get burned as a witch so lifespan is very short round there. :)

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
"However, one anonymous explorer from Kirton, near Boston has sent in pictures of himself...."

Ah - so it's just a bit of self-publicity for someone then :p

Status
Not open for further replies.