real time web analytics
Information - - Ascend using a battery winch? | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Ascend using a battery winch?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Urbulon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Maybe there is now hope for the fat and old to be able to ascend but after you buy a harness this lot could cost £2k! Cant help but think one could make one's own cheaper alternative with one's brains and braun using a Landrover winch or something like that.

(thinks) Am I the only old fart here?

(thinks) Theres not enough emojis to choose from here.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
The organised Gaping gill trips use a winch to lower people down not sure if it’s off a Land Rover.

its possible but your limited by size of spool on Landy

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Yes, auto ascenders are a thing but theyre very expensive. Better off simply exercising and getting fit enough to do it manually. The health benefits are fantastic too.

Andrew32

See a sticker, remove a sticker
28DL Full Member
Cheap winch and lipo battery could be got for under £100, still beneficial to do it manually especially if the height means serious injury or death, not worth cheaping out

Urbulon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wont bother attempting it, I will just leave it to you young whipper-snappers. :D

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I've seen them in use, well the industrial ones. They are mostly used as part of a rescue system or to haul / lowering equipment down a structure, mast or shaft rather than a man riding option. If part of a rescue system there is always a secondary traditional rope and pulley system on standby. You can get battery pack or 2 stroke versions.

A bit like using your phone or a GPS for map reading in extreme situations; all if fine until the battery runs out especially when you're only halfway through what you have intended to do. Takes time then to work out where you are on a paper map and that's if you've put one in with a compass in the first place. In a white out condition you may not manage to do so.

Same using a motorised ascender as unless you are carrying additional ascending kit and happy enough to make the change over things could go tits up. They are not the lightest things to carry around either. I quite like keeping things simple, less moving parts and reliance on a power source the better for me :thumb

puma

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You mean like a confined space tripod . For manhole and any hole in the floor . A lot to carry about if it’s a hike to site . I get why electric would be nice the clacking of the ratchet winch is a bit loud at 2am lol

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Maybe there is now hope for the fat and old to be able to ascend but after you buy a harness this lot could cost £2k! Cant help but think one could make one's own cheaper alternative with one's brains and braun using a Landrover winch or something like that.

(thinks) Am I the only old fart here?

(thinks) Theres not enough emojis to choose from here.

There's this myth that ascending a rope requires a top notch level of physical fitness to achieve. Sure a certain about of effort is required, but anyone of even average fitness can achieve it if it's rigged correctly! And yes even larger individuals can do it. The downfall of lots of people and rope gear for SRT is they rig it wrong or have unsuitable harnesses or equipment and its then a lot more effort to get up the rope than it needs to be.

Who has read this thread (Total: 182) View details