real time web analytics
Report - - Ashford Locomotive Works, Kent, June 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ashford Locomotive Works, Kent, June 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Hey guys,

The Explore

This was in fact the penultimate site of approximately 20 I visited with my exploration compatriots last week, but was one of my favourites. A number of the sites were small and I shot them with 35mm, meaning the photos will not only be fewer but will take me longer to upload. Whilst the former rail works at Ashford may not be the most epic explore in the history of UE you can’t beat a bit of railway-dereliction. Despite this site being shot with my digital I still didn't take that many. Apologies for the low number of photos.

History

Ashford Locomotive Works, began life in 1847, when the South Eastern Railway decided to construct a new 185 acre locomotive repair works, replacing their earlier works at New Cross in London. By 1850, over 130 houses had been constructed for staff, employing over 600 people. In the 1880s the works employed 1,300. The works produced over 630 locomotives and have built a vast number of different engines; most notably the Bulleid 0-6-0 Q1s, and bizarrely a number of LMSR 2-8-0 8Fs for the war department during the 1940s.

The locomotive workshops eventually closed in 1962, whilst wagon manufacture and repairs continued until 1982 when the entire site finally closed.

2e7f4da1.jpg

f66edf36.jpg

0fa0a975.jpg

1eb71bee.jpg

Regards