real time web analytics
Ashton Court Mansion, Bristol - November 2006 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Ashton Court Mansion, Bristol - November 2006

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I rediscovered these today.

They were taken in late 2006 on an impromptu visit, so no tripod and sorry but they also have flash - hey it was six years ago and I didn’t know any better.

Anyway, I haven’t seen it on here before so I thought someone might be interested.

Potted history

In the 1350’s Thomas de Lyons enclosed the park and built a new manor house. In the early 1500’s the house was enlarged. In the mid 1500’s the house was enlarged and sold to the Smyth family, who owned and occupied it for 400 years.

In the 1890’s Sir Greville Smyth added the West wing. The ground floor was to house his extensive collections – later donated to Bristol museum.

In the First World War the mansion became a Red Cross hospital.

In the Second World War the grounds were used by the army, with officers being allowed to use parts of the mansion house. (Unusually they didn’t do any damage)

In 1946 Esme, the last owner, died at the age of 83.

In 1947 the entire contents were sold in a seven day auction.

The house stood empty for 13 years, until Bristol City Council bought the estate and opened it as a public park. The house was boarded up until the early 1970s when the roof was repaired and the remains of the house made safe and watertight. No restoration was carried out.

Most of the upper rooms had hand written labels, as if it was once open to the public. I've included the ones I remember.

Around the time of my visit I think an application had been made for lottery funding to restore the upper floors. I believe it was not successful.

Most of the ground floor is used as a conference centre and party venue. The stable block contains the estate offices, a café and a visitor centre.

1.jpg

West front

2.jpg

South front and terrace

3.jpg

Billiard room

4.jpg

Billiard room ceiling

6.jpg

7.jpg

3" thick Mahogany door

8.jpg

Huntman’s hall ceiling

21.jpg

Huntman’s hall coving and frieze

9.jpg

Grand Staircase

10.jpg

11.jpg

“Tudor†bedroom door

12.jpg

“Regency†bedroom door frame

13.jpg

“Regency†bedroom door

14.jpg

Lady Esme’s dressing room

15.jpg

Remains of Lady Esme’s bedroom ceiling (on the floor)

16.jpg

“Regency†bedroom fireplace

17.jpg

“Tudor†fireplace

18.jpg

Landing window

19.jpg

Bedroom corridor wallpaper

20.jpg

Bedroom window

22.jpg

Dame Emily’s boudoir fireplace

23.jpg

Panelling from Dame Emily’s boudoir

24.jpg

Can’t remember?

25.jpg

Maid’s room, originally divided into six

26.jpg

Clock mechanism, I think from around 1890 - 1900

27.jpg

Servant’s quarters!

28.jpg

29.jpg

Thanks for looking​

charlotte roden

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi Yorrick, I am currently working on objects from Ashton Court House. I was wondering if I could message you privately about the antiquities found in the house and the photographs that you have?

jack minton

i swear i must of got lost officer
28DL Full Member
looks a great place , was it a permission visit or not? (not keen on the yellow paint )
but good post mate

Jack