real time web analytics
Report - - Ashtonian Short Tunnel, May 2012. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ashtonian Short Tunnel, May 2012.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

troubleuk

here comes trouble ....
28DL Full Member
When the Oldham, Ashton and Guide Bridge Railway was built in 1861, crossing the Medlock Valley on a high viaduct, a branch led right through to the Rocher Vale works. Scrap iron was brought in by rail to be made into iron and steel goods.

The tramway to the canal was still used, however, and in 1865, the horses which had been used to pull the wagons, were replaced by a small locomotive engine called "The Ashtonian." This had to be specially designed to have a funnel that hinged downwards and the driver would have to kneel down to enable it to pass through the tunnel between the foot of the viaduct and Rocher Vale, which was only six feet high and five feet wide!

This is the only picture i could find of the train

ashtonian.jpg

Visited with stonecoldaustin having found this as a kid i always wanted to revisit it and see if it had been filed in to my suprise it was still there

The entrance

DSCF0060-2.jpg

Looking back out towards the entrance

DSCF0062-2.jpg

looking down the tunnel

DSCF0103-1.jpg

Having got halfway in it seemed to have been bricked off at some point and looks like it was reinforced

DSCF0066-2.jpg

Looking back from the other side of the wall

DSCF0067-1.jpg

Stonecouldaustin showing how wide it was and tall he is only 5 foot 7

DSCF0093-1.jpg

Heres me trying to do something i dont know what :crazy

DSCF0083-1.jpg

the roof of the tunnel with soot deposits on

DSCF0072-1.jpg

Now the end off the line i dont know if it had been backfilled or collapsed but i was sure was not going to start moving stuff in here

DSCF0069-1.jpg

Now time to get out of here before stonecoldaustin started moving stuff

DSCF0065-1.jpg

I tried looking for the other end but could not find it i have a idea where it came out but it looks like it has has been filled in :(

Thanks for looking :thumb

Richie wellock

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great little number this tunnel, still not sure Ahtonian ever rumbled its wheels down here. But love the idea of it. ( lack of any soot deposits inside ) pretty sure were it comes out , but if does come out there , cannot think why that was ? great tunnel in a area steeped history.