real time web analytics
Report - - Astley Bridge and culvert - October 2021 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Astley Bridge and culvert - October 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mcload

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Astley Bridge is a district of Bolton and got its name from this bridge itself.
The Astley brook was heavily industrialized, similarly to other brooks in the area.
The bridge carries the A666 Blackburn road on a South-North axis. The culvert has houses and another street built on top of it. Because there are buildings literally on the bridge, many people driving over it does not know it's actually a bridge. I barely can find anything online about the dates of its construction so I need to base my guesses on maps and related information.
The bridge and culvert are actually formed from three parts. The original stone bridge in the middle dates back probably into the 1700s as the bleach works down the side of the river was built in the 1770s.
The stone extension is the late 1800s as it's already figured on the OS 25 inch map dated 1888-1913 and the culvert is probably built pre-war, but I still don't know for sure. It is very hard to almost impossible to find anything about this bridge and culvert online. I'd be more than happy to receive contributions to my research.

A small weir have been built just right after the brook's outflow from the culvert, this is the place where I descended.

My first glance at the outfall, it's around 15 ft high at the front.

Even at high water level, the side of the brook's channel is dry and you can walk down.

The dual arched portal. This bridge was continuously expanded over the past 250 years.

A small drainage outfall on the side wall.

Trying to show the enormous size of this bridge wall.

The bridges and the short culvert behind it just before I walked in - dry shoes!

Three sections - the closest to us is the late 1800s extension, the middle is the original 1700s stone bridge and the further is the culvert itself.

The original Astley Bridge stone bridge. Still standing and carrying a dual carriageway above after roughly 250 years. It must be at least 20 ft high.

The culvert is a 10brick thick arch, that slightly curves to the left. An outflow is visible on the other side around the middle of the length.

Right after the weir, there is probably a sewer outflow or other drainage outflow.

The view from the bridge itself. The other side of the culvert is completely overbuilt with houses and totally inaccessible.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good stuff, regards the sewer overflow I have pics somewhere on here of that lot, good to see the culvert again :thumb

Mcload

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good stuff, regards the sewer overflow I have pics somewhere on here of that lot, good to see the culvert again :thumb
Thank you very much, I'm happy you've enjoyed it.
In February on a very rainy day and week, the overflow was in full force.

Sandal Singer

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is the first time I have come across this site. I was interested in your survey of Astley Brook culvert and the Bridge. I was brought up in Astley Bridge and have an interest in its history.

Sandal Singer

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is the first time I have come across this site. I was interested in your survey of Astley Brook culvert and the Bridge. I was brought up in Astley Bridge and have an interest in its history.
I have researched in the past about the Bridge in Astley Bridge looking at Newspapers on Find My Past and come across details which people may or may not know.
In the Manchester Mercury 9/10/1781 and 25/9/1781 there is a notice - Astley Brook Bridge. That the said Bridge and the work intended to be done at the same which is situate in the Road leading from Bolton and Blackburn will be let at the next General Court of Quarter session in Manchester the first morning of the same session to wit on Thursday the 11th day of October next at eleven o'clock in the forenoon subject to such conditions as will be then and there produced for further particulars apply to Edward Holme Bridge-Master of Salford Hundred who will show the Plan and Conditions of the said work and give any further information required .

In the Manchester Mercury 27/9/1796 There is a notice that an application is intended to be made in the next session of Parliament for leave to bring a Bill to obtain an Act to make a Turnpike Road from the Town of Bolton le Moors to the Town of Blackburn .

In the Leeds Mercury of Saturday 12/10/1822. To Masons etc. To be at Bank Inn Bolton le Moors Monday 11/11/1822 at ten o'clock. The building of the addition of about 22 feet in width and an elevation of about 42 feet on the higher side of Astley Bridge near Bolton and which will consist of an Arch of 28 feet span together with other Additions and Alterations to the present Bridge. Also the making of a considerable Embankment across the Valley about 90 yards in length on the South End of the Bridge in order to divert the Road from the present line. The Plans and Specifications for the foregoing Work may be seen at the Lamb Inn near the Bridge from the 21st October and the 9th November. For particulars apply to Mr Hartley, Pendleton near Manchester or J & A Harcourt Sol Bolton.

In the Bolton Evening News 16/7/1877. Flooding in Bolton. Blackburn Road to Meeting of Waters Bleach Works. Footpath swept away. Bridge near Messrs Ramwel & Lumley's Mill Astley Bridge washed down and part of stonework hanging suspended from the road and wooden bridge which conveyed the gas from the Corporation mains to the mill has also been damaged that the gas has escaped to a considerable extent. A horse also washed down the stream at Astley Bridge and drowned. Near Ainsworth's bleachworks several wooden bridges have been swept away, houses considerable extent submerged and a number of pigs saved.

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Nice report and pics of the impressive brick and stone construction.
I drive over this bridge about twice a year on my travels as I have a friend just a couple of miles north of this location.
Hadn't considered what lay below here but it's hardly surprising that this watercouse like so many in this part of the county are treated as an open sewer with the slightest drop of rain which is pretty much half of the time.
Having said that, it is good to know that UU are just about to address the issue of this CSO by building a 400 cubic meter storage tank and new screen which hopefully will result in less shit and sewer litter being deposited in the watercourse.

@Ojay - wouldn't mind seeing those pics of this sewer overflow if you have a link, it looks quite substantial.

@Sandal Singer - Good extracts there, I enjoy reading these historical accounts.