real time web analytics
Report - - Atlas/Ferranti Business Centre, Wythanshawe, Manchester - January '14 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Atlas/Ferranti Business Centre, Wythanshawe, Manchester - January '14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bosh

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Having not much else to do I decided to check out a place I've been wanting to do for a while now, so I went on a solo visit to Atlas Buisness Centre. Thanks to Tweek for replying to my PM and giving me a bit of advice! This was my first visit so I didn't bother with a tripod. I'll deffo be doing a return visit at some point and will take a tripod with me :P Things look like they've got a lot worse since Tweeks visit in Dec' 11 but still an interesting place to mooch around for a newbie like me.

History

(Stolen from Tweeks report):
Ferranti or Ferranti International plc was a UK electrical engineering and equipment firm that operated for over a century from 1885 until it went bankrupt in 1993. Known primarily for defence electronics, the Company was once a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index but ceased trading in 1993.

It had branches all over Greater Manchester and even Edinburgh, Dalkeith, Aberdeen, Dundee, Bracknell and Cwmbran as well as Germany and the United States.

From 1948, the company had begun to develop guided missiles, especially the Bloodhound, at the Moston factory and later at the Wythenshawe factory.

Duncan Sandys, Minister of Supply, opened Ferranti Ltd's new guided weapons factory at Wythenshawe, Manchester, in June. Planning the layout of the 36-acre site had begun in 1950. It cost almost £1.3 million to build and equip the workshop and laboratories.

The work done by Ferranti on guided weapons, including the two marks of Bloodhound, extended over a long period, over many contracts, and over a number of factories. It seems the guided missile work at Wythenshawe provided the guidance and control system for the Bristol- Ferranti Bloodhound ground-to-air missile. Bloodhound was developed by three industrial teams: Bristol (missile and launcher), Ferranti Wythenshawe (guidance and launch control), and Rolls Royce Bristol (ramjets).

In addition, in 1951 Ferranti began selling the first commercially available computer, the Ferranti Mark 1. The first Ferranti Mark I computer was installed at Manchester University. It was the world's first commercially produced computer.

The Ferranti semiconductor development team at Wythenshawe produced the first European silicon alloy junction diode in 1955. Most semiconductor manufacturers were still using germanium as the semiconducting material.

By 1962, Ferranti Ltd installed the world's first process control computer at an ICI chemical plant in Fleetwood, Lancashire. It was an Argus 200 computer, made at the Wythenshawe factory.

In 1970, Ferranti became involved in the sonar field through its involvement with Plessey in a new series of sonars, for which designed and built the computer subsystems. This work later expanded when it won a contract for the complete Sonar 2050. The work was originally carried out at the Wythenshawe factory and then at Cheadle Heath.

The Wythenshawe plant later became the Atlas Business Centre, (the Atlas computer being one of Ferranti's products). The final tenants were removed around 4 years ago.

Again, apologises for the slightly blurry pics, anyway, here we go;

DSC_7056_edit_zpsba64f824.jpg

DSC_7059_edit_zps950bb296.jpg

DSC_7068_edit_zps81fff154.jpg

DSC_7070_edit_zps67702a44.jpg

DSC_7077_edit_zpsd0724774.jpg

Still nicer than some of the lecture theatres at my uni :p:
DSC_7080_edit_zps1c2edbdf.jpg

DSC_7088_edit_zps600bfbb6.jpg

The runway lights for Manchester Airport in the background
DSC_7089_edit_zps6623997a.jpg

The pink room