Web
Analytics
Video Report - - Attercliffe Tram Sheds, Sheffield, November 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Video Report - Attercliffe Tram Sheds, Sheffield, November 2015


hellonearth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really easy one and well know place but still a great mooch around just to look at the artwork. The graffiti in the place is really the only reason to visit, some of them are so freakin good.


Bit of history lifted from the web...

Sheffield Tramway was an extensive tramway network serving the English city of Sheffield and its suburbs.

The first tramway line, horse-drawn, opened in 1873 between Lady's Bridge and Attercliffe, subsequently extended to Brightside and Tinsley. Routes were built to Heeley, where a tram depot was built,Nether Edge and Hillsborough.

In 1899, the first electric tram ran between Nether Edge and Tinsley. By 1902 all the routes were electrified. By 1910 the network covered 39 miles, by 1951 48 miles.

The last trams ran between Leopold Street to Beauchief and Tinsley on 8 October 1960—three Sheffield trams were subsequently preserved at the National Tramway Museum in Crich.

The system closed on 8th October 1960 and has been derelict since the early 60s. The trams returned in 1994 in the shape of Supertram costing £240 million pounds. The new Supertram depot sits just over the fence next to the old one.
 

Top