Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Awesome article talking about empty Liverpool | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Lead or Rumour info - Awesome article talking about empty Liverpool

pickle1984

28DL Resident Pickle
28DL Full Member
This artical was released a few months back by an amazing local blog called Seven Streets. It makes for very interesting reading:

Have a guess how much empty space there is in Liverpool? No, really, have a guess - because no-one really knows. Nor does anyone know what to do about it. David Lloyd gets empty headed.

Somewhere deep in New Mexico, a desert full of hollows forms the Very Large Array telescope. Acres of discrete dishes. Insignificant alone. Game changing together. Working as one, the dishes can do something exponentially massive: map out the emptiness. Make sense of it.

It’s joined up thinking like this that edges us closer to the important questions – like, where the hell is all that dark matter? And what are we supposed to do about it?

Meanwhile, back in Liverpool we’re surrounded by the stuff. Imagine what we’d find if we embarked on a little joined up thinking of our own.

A few months ago, I started to wonder about empty spaces in the city, and of whether SevenStreets could hold an event in one of them. Within half an hour, a nice chap at the council suggested a few sites – probably about half a million square foot of them. Off the top of his head.

Nested within our city, hidden behind listed buildings, pedimented windows and stone mullions, just inches away from the lunchtime sandwich rush, there is a

Complete

Empty

City

“How many empty buildings are there, do you think?†we asked, our curiosity piqued.

No one seemed to know. Why would they? The council knows of its own empty spaces, individual developers and owners of theirs.

No-one has ever surveyed the complete shrinking city. We need to get Werner Hertzog and a laser scanner to map out the caverns and hollows, and make a complete 3D map of Liverpool’s empty belly.

In the meantime, forget about the Albert Hall. No-one knows how many holes it takes to fill up those grand, ghostly banking halls, fruit exchanges and typists’ pools.

While we wait, here’s an incomplete list of empty spaces: buildings either wholly empty or with upwards of 4,000 square feet lying fallow, waiting for the day when new seeds will be sewn. Some have plans. Most don’t. It’s a long list. You might want to break it up into bite-sized chunks.
See the rest of the article and the list of empty property HERE

The Franconian

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Re: Awesome Artical Talking About Empty Liverpool

the inside photo, is that opposite of Rigbys pub?
--------------------
think I'm wrong, but can't find where to delete
any help ?

Last edited:

pickle1984

28DL Resident Pickle
28DL Full Member

the inside photo, is that opposite of Rigbys pub?
I think its the Cunard building, as there seems to be artwork hanging from the pillars and he talks about the Cunard building being used for the Biennial :)

A few of these buildings should be open on the Heritage Weekend.

pickle1984

28DL Resident Pickle
28DL Full Member

This is a brilliant list! Really give me something to crack on with!
We shall have to see if any of these are doable, also the Heritage Open Day is in september which may open a few of these up for visits.

The Franconian

28DL Regular User
Regular User

I need the date for this Heritage open Day, will have to come over.
I thought it was the Royal Insurance Building, to which I found a report in here now.
Many buildings within a mile

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin

It's a good article, and even better list. Cheers.

skgogosfan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Thanks for the article-just a few things I know about:

Tinlings Building - that's now being converted into student flats with a roof extension

Watson Building - that's had several applications through relating to converting it to mixed use with an extension replacing Rapid's old building next to it ; Merepark are still busy with Lewis's and CV so it might be a while before anything happens

West Africa House - recently approved was "to change use of basement/ground and mezzanine levels from sui generis use to A3 (restaurant/cafe) A4 (bar) and ancillary D2 (events space) use"

Littlewoods Building, Edge Lane:

"Littlewoods Site Edge Lane Liverpool L7 : To alter and convert former storage facility for various uses retail, business, hotel and institutional..."

"Littlewoods Site Edge Lane Liverpool L13 : To alter and convert former Littlewood's buildings as a mixed used scheme including hotel, offices and business units and a range of ancillary uses..."

Both approved recently. The storage facility is the square building behind it afaik,and it's all in L7.

Union House, Victoria Street - last year a scheme for a hotel conversion was approved,nothing doing so far though...

Produce and Fruit Exchange, Victoria Street - whether this is indicative of anything in the works IDK,but it was cleaned and all the weeds removed last year

Compton House, Church Street - that's a mistake,it's M&S who recently extended their floorspace

Scandinavian Hotel, Duke Street - student flats in the works,as per a recent topic

New for 2013 is Rapid's half of the GHL building,empty since they went bust,and one glaring omission was the Strawberry Arcade building on the east side of BHS.

Dave.

Za Gringo

28DL Zoo Member
28DL Full Member
I remember that littlewoods building being fairly large. There are loads of other empties in liverpool all in various stats of decay, also lots of disused and partly disused industrial estates around.

skgogosfan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
One less empty,hopefully. Royal Insurance building to be hotel...

I remember that littlewoods building being fairly large. There are loads of other empties in liverpool all in various stats of decay, also lots of disused and partly disused industrial estates around.
Yep,one for example is the Rocket Estate which is closing down to be turned into a housing estate. Mostly crappy warehouses,but there are two more interesting older buildings. One on the left as you go in,still in use,and one by the railway station which looks totally derelict.

Dave.

fedster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
the little woods building on edge lane
its about to get ripped out and turned into a tv studio
big report in liverpool echo last night

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
crusader Leads, Rumours and News... 1