real time web analytics
Report - - Aylesford Newsprint – Kent – July 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Aylesford Newsprint – Kent – July 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member
The History ( stolen from @Maniac)

Paper has been manufactured on the Aylesford Newsprint site since 1922, formerly under the name of Aylesford Paper Mill and later by the name Aylesford Newsprint. The entire area has a history which revolved around the paper and packaging industry for decades, but this has been in steep decline in the last 20 years or so. The plant at Aylesford was the last remaining part of this industry in this area, but it has now ceased to be a viable business and has been closed since March 2015.

Aylesford Newsprint was a long-established major employer in the area and was the largest paper recycling factory in Europe, manufacturing newsprint for the newspaper industry mainly for the London press. The mill was heavily modernised in the 1990's with millions of pounds spent on a state of the art warehousing system and significant new production equipment which is what you see today.

When it closed, the mill employed 230 people and produced more than 400,000 tons of newsprint from 500,000 tons of recycled paper every year.

It’s been a year since the production line at Aylesford Newsprint came to a halt – the dormant chimneys a sad reminder of the loss of one of Kent’s oldest paper mills.

Now the firm in charge of selling off the company’s assets has announced the building is expected to be demolished by the summer of next year.

The three options being presented by property consultancy Lambert Smith Hampton (LSH), which is acting on behalf of administrators KPMG, include one which looks at keeping the area for industrial use. The two other ideas are for a mix of commerce and housing. Option 2 would include between 350 to 400 homes whileOption 3 has a larger proportion of residential use, at up to 500 homes.

The Explore

After seeing a few reports on this, I kinda fancied it but just hadn’t got around to it, you know how it is sometimes. @oakley, @slayaaaa & @mrstewie had been for a nose a week or so before and myself and Oakley decided to head back for another look one Sunday afternoon.

Access was pretty easy although we had to keep our eyes open for the security guys.

Once inside we had a pretty chilled explore, although it was quite sad to see that most of the equipment and machinery had been and was in the process of being torn out. After seeing others reports it was a shame not to get to see the epicness that was there when @Maniac first reported it, but it was interesting to see it in the process of full decommissioning.

It was however nice to get to see the labs and the R&D department as this side of it was also very interesting.

The site had pretty much full power over it so it made for a good mooch, It was surprising to see what was left and what still worked.

After a fair few hours in there we spotted secca doing their rounds and decided it was time for us to leave.

Enjoy the pics sorry there are so many lol

DSC_3465_zpsecokcynt.jpg

DSC_3469_zps4ofvipew.jpg

DSC_3474_zpsthbperpq.jpg

DSC_3487_zps4w0rd3mn.jpg

DSC_3492_zpsedxalxhw.jpg

DSC_3496_zpskcafg5ac.jpg

DSC_3503_zpsrt0ovsws.jpg

DSC_3520_zpsu92gaml1.jpg

DSC_3522_zpsvo5lakwr.jpg

DSC_3524_zpsaist7sep.jpg

DSC_3527_zpshj3usysu.jpg

DSC_3537_zpsdxfd0x1b.jpg

DSC_3544_zpszsqienkm.jpg

DSC_3546_zpsbvemitke.jpg

View attachment 698738

DSC_3551_zpscwbb4ezu.jpg

DSC_3574_zpsdxu6ltko.jpg

DSC_3579_zpspr4h48ot.jpg

DSC_3584_zpsw5otjkac.jpg

DSC_3586_zpsli12tesi.jpg

DSC_3591_zpskv1ejlbt.jpg

DSC_3593_zpsaobgic5t.jpg

DSC_3598_zps2tx0dkel.jpg

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Did anyone ever get anywhere looking for turbines here? Looks like it's still good mooch.

mockney reject

Staff member
Turbines you say ......

We did sit on the roof for a bit discussing an area that looked like it could have been a turbine house but never made it over that side

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Nice :)

Great to see photos of the bits that we missed on our visit, in particular PM13 as we only made it there right at the end of the night and my camera battery had died. Like all these places, they slowly open up more and more as the decommissioning continues. I think there's more to be found here and I'm glad others are making the effort as it's probably the best bit of industry south of the M25 at the moment! :)

mockney reject

Staff member
Its a great site and I'm surprised more havn't done it
As for more to be found, I plan to head back and see if i can find those Turbines......

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Had a good look for the turbines on my visit a while back and looked as though they were long gone although we may have missed them as there were one or two other building we didn't get a chance to check in the area they would be located.
Nice to see this during the day and the labs look interesting. Good effort mate.

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Either the steam turbines are ultra modern and housed outside, or its in a dedicated building out back, whereby there are gas turbines, or boilers outside. Someone needs to sack off looking in all of the big buildings and run down to the railway side to see what we have on our hands. Its all clear on maps.