real time web analytics
Report - - Aylesford Newsprint, Kent, March 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Aylesford Newsprint, Kent, March 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

kent-urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
The business was founded in 1922 and was the longest established producer of 100 per cent recycled newsprint and produced on average 400,000 tonnes of recycled newsprint every year from 500,000 tonnes of recycled waste fibre. On 23rd February 2015, the plant’s 300-strong workforce was dealt the shock blow that the firm, which had been running for nearly a century, would be applying to go into administration. The site has now been decommissioned, and the latest report to creditors suggests the mill itself will be demolished some time in mid-2017. The stock of paper was bought for £8.3m and a sale of the plant and machinery was completed in September for £7.9m by waste management firm W&S Recycling. Commercial director at W&S, Tony Knowles, said: “Over the last six months a considerable section of equipment has been sold for re-use including two 100-tonne pulping machines to an Egyptian client plus the complete PM14 newsprint manufacturing line, sold to Chinese clients.

A total of 230 employees were made redundant. A further 60 were kept on temporarily to assist with the decommissioning of the site. Now just 10 people remain, to help dismantle the plant and machinery.

So this was my 2nd trip to Aylesford newsprint visited in December 2015 with Maniac. So this time I went with Begood. I Wanted to cover the other parts of the Newsprint we hadn’t so far. A lot has changed since visiting 3 months ago they have started stripping the PM14 and removing some of the conveyor belts which moved the wastepaper. Our trip was cut short after we set off an alarm in the admin building but apart from that we had covered everything pretty much. This is the best explore I have done to date and is a must see before much more gets removed.

Aerial picture showing how massive the site is
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-20%20at%2016.45.18_zpslvde47gp.jpg

114_zps2rsmxtog.jpg

Main admin building and offices, (these are alarmed by motion sensors as we found out)
DSC_8169_zps6trjmhv5.jpg

storage tanks
DSC_8171_zps5oh60ajg.jpg

chimneys
DSC_7942_zps4gkbrfol.jpg

The building as the very back houses the Pm13 and the at the back left houses the PM14
DSC_7939_zps5zoja691.jpg

Fork trucks
DSC_7836And8more_tonemapped_zpsngk1ui3n.jpg

Kent-urbex & Begood
DSC_7863_zps3zd7j5yh.jpg

News letter for staff of the PM14
DSC_7762_zps6erb3yjh.jpg

Dismantling the PM14
DSC_8000_zpswdves0zd.jpg

PM14 machine
DSC_8018_zpspwk1bqss.jpg

A before picture
A.%20JumboReel%20with%20scale_zpsbo5d7zzy.jpg

This was the final stage of the paper where it was cut to size onto reels then onto the wrapping stage and stored.
DSC_8036_zpsdxxsmrgp.jpg

Before picture of it in action
maxresdefault_zpsbtndhju9.jpg

DSC_8055And8more_tonemapped_zpsez7ufvct.jpg

25-02-152pic_zpsmffuh7xy.png

PM13 which we missed on out previous visit
DSC_8153And8more_tonemapped_zps7znr0tc2.jpg

Pm13 and control panel

DSC_8135And8more_tonemapped_zpsqovnxpmt.jpg

Loads bays

DSC_8091And8more_tonemapped_zpsk6phdlfm.jpg

Last edited:

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Ey up, now then, I wonder, what's the building next to the gas turbines? I'd send a grid but I'm on my phone and I have sausage fingers!

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
One minute on google

"...The scheme consists of two gas turbines, two fired heat recovery boilers and one back pressure steam turbine. It is able to generate heat and electrical efficiencies that qualify as ‘good quality CHP’."

Could be a modern back pressure turbine or they could have retro fitted an original turbo that used to serve the plant. :)

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
One minute on google

"...The scheme consists of two gas turbines, two fired heat recovery boilers and one back pressure steam turbine. It is able to generate heat and electrical efficiencies that qualify as ‘good quality CHP’."

Could be a modern back pressure turbine or they could have retro fitted an original turbo that used to serve the plant. :)

I can't find any clues as to the turbine, but one article said RWE are planning to keep the plant running. Not sure how they will do that without a supply of paper to burn mind..

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
I can't find any clues as to the turbine, but one article said RWE are planning to keep the plant running. Not sure how they will do that without a supply of paper to burn mind..

I've just posted them lol. It will be in that building, unless that is a boiler house and the turbine is a modern one outfitted to the flanks of those gas turbines, with a secondary steam turbine on the second gas turbine on standby :p

Yeah hopefully though, with a lack of paper, it won't be online. You should definitely hear them if they are on though!!!

Gutted Kent is so far away.

Anyhow I didn't compliment your report, crazy place this! Whats the craic with it? Surely its too modern to get rid of!?

Last edited:

BeGood

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I took a few photos on my phone, I didn't have my camera. Mainly because I am a bit lazy and @kent-urbex has a better setup and knowledge!

Here they are:

IMG_20160320_105252_zpsqb87ftxd.jpg

Exterior Shot

IMG_20160320_105759_zpslfgjw5ds.jpg

Pipes!

IMG_20160320_0619043_zpsspwrzl0c.jpg

This reminder me of Halo, which pleased me quite a lot.

Ta!

Last edited:

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Anyone got into said buildings yet?? We could be missing out on intercourse here.

Dmax

Don't eat my biscuit !
28DL Full Member
Had a look for this turbine @Dmax?
yeah its easy to work out where they are but the main rooms are well alarmed up mate ,I set it off when climbing into a window , not been back but may have one more go at it :)