real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Ayton (Monument) Mine, Great Ayton. 05/20 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Ayton (Monument) Mine, Great Ayton. 05/20

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

nicholsonj94

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys,

Sorry if the report is not up to standards. (First post). If it can be improved in any way, please let me know!

I recently learned of an iron mine, which was accessible. After a good hour searching, i managed to locate the old, (above ground) mine buildings, or what is left of them! I didn't get chance to explore past the first entrance tunnel underground, as i had my little brother and horrible flashlights with me, but once i have been and explored further with the correct flashlights/gas monitor.

History of Ayton mine - The mine was first opened in 1909, and continued to mine iron until 1928. From the day of opening this mine had issues with poor air quality, Ayton mine (referred by locals as monument mine) was 1 out of 3 mines in the local area, and was also the first one to be hooked up to electricity. (Around 1921). The mine was owned and operated by Pease & Partners.

Monument mine, also suffered issues with drainage throughout its life, Miners at the Monument mine worked in pairs, each miner having a filler, and these two-men teams were part of a three-shift system, working round the clock, six days a week. The cost of extending the powered transport link to the workplace was also considerably high, so they used pony's to cover the gap, and create a link.

I managed to take a few photos above ground, although the area was extremely overgrown, and was hard to get any decent photos, but here is what i did get. Unfortunately i didn't manage to get any photos of the entrance tunnel due to the dry weather we have had, which made it rather dusty, and impossible to take clear picture.

After a downhill walk, which provided a link to the railway we came across an intact electrical substation for the mine from around 1921.

A carved stone, dates from the building of the main hauler engine house.

I am unsure what this area was originally used for,I'm hoping someone could enlighten me? :)

The remains/foundation of the braking drum at the top of the hill from the up to the site.

I believe this is what is left from a ventilation vent.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Be careful in here the air can get quite bad. Make sure you take a 4gas with you.

Also May? Shouldnt you be observing lockdown?

Last edited:

nicholsonj94

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I plan on buying one, just need to have a browse for some - what would you recommend? A few people have suggested Atair 4. and Yes, i should, which i was observing - i was with my household, out for a walk/daily exercise, in accordance with government guidelines :) Also being part of the reason i didn't venture any further past the entrance tunnel, i would hate to put extra pressure on the emergency services, if things went bad.

nicholsonj94

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Be careful in here the air can get quite bad. Make sure you take a 4gas with you.

Also May? Shouldnt you be observing lockdown?

I plan on buying one, just need to have a browse for some - what would you recommend? A few people have suggested Atair 4. and Yes, i should, which i was observing - i was with my household, out for a walk/daily exercise (there is a public path not far from the site), in accordance with government guidelines - also no other people around :) Also being part of the reason i didn't venture any further past the entrance tunnel, i would hate to put extra pressure on the emergency services, if things went bad.

Last edited:

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
One that works. I use Altair's and Im being taught how to use Safety Lamps.

Might be an idea to start with stone mines, they're a bit less likely to kill you.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
You can also rent gas monitors, I saw somewhere you can get an Oxygen monitor for £11 for a week. Great if you tend to mine visits in bulk.

nicholsonj94

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You can also rent gas monitors, I saw somewhere you can get an Oxygen monitor for £11 for a week. Great if you tend to mine visits in bulk.
Brilliant, will mean I have use of a decent one until I have the funds to purchase my own good one. Thanks mate.