real time web analytics
Report - - Aytoun Street Employment Exchange - Manchester - Nov 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Aytoun Street Employment Exchange - Manchester - Nov 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Employment Exchange, Aytoun St Manchester

PaBRfXe.jpg

"You'd better hurry up, the demo signs are up and the whole gaff is fenced off." "It's too late now", was the cry from some! After many years lying empty, Aytoun is finally getting knocked down to make way for a hotel.

zrY7Mft.jpg

It was suggested we go early doors at weekend, so as to not draw any attention to ourselves and have time for a mooch, before and if workers came on site. We needn't have worried on that score, didn't look like anyone had been inside at all. I'm a builder, you usually find that before any work is carried out, a temporary (possibly safety) brew table and chairs are installed. So, alls well, all the time in the world 'n' all that. Relax.

Our entrance was made canal side. The whole place is ripped back to to concrete/brick/plaster. Any internal stud walls are long gone
leaving it all open plan, so to speak, the ground floor particularly so.

The Manchester Pevsner says of this deserted art deco building on Aytoun Street, "the former Employment Exchange was designed 1936 by David Thompson for the Office of Works, but work was suspended until 1948 when E. H. Montegue Ebbs took over. Brick, thin and cheap." The wrought iron detail above the central door, shown below, suggests that the building may have opened in 1951

ZxsM1k3.jpg

ZLNvSW7.jpg

Q6fYlxE.jpg

We eventually got to the roof and naturally hung around for a while, maybe too long?

J6z2N3c.jpg

1deufdH.jpg

0iqt1cM.jpg

xlU7SgP.jpg

I went to the edge of the front elevation, to get a picture of the front of the courts over the road, looked down and saw a copper
crossing the road, it looked like he was eating something, so I thought he was just on his way home maybe? When i watched the video back, I hear myself informing Ojay, "Just seen a Dibble over the road eating a butty." How naive of me.

kz0wTcT.jpg

Looking over the other end of the roof and there were another two looking over the bridge at our 'transport.'

We started to make our way down, but decided not to rush, it wasn't like they could get in. We had a few sneaky peeks out of
broken windows on the way and then the banging noises started.

tkDt0pA.jpg

fsH9tyc.jpg

vYYiy86.jpg

x1Hp12E.jpg

They were actually throwing stones at our entrance point, some of which landed in the FreshFingers vessel. We hung around on the
ground floor a while before deciding to call it a day and upon our exit, there was nobody about. Hastily, we rowed the other way in
the hope we could just dissapear and if it hadn't been for those pesky pigs having one last look over the bridge, we would've gotten
away with it.

lbGLGeL.jpg

"You could be putting my men in danger if we had to get in there and come looking for you." Yeh,yeh, they were alright to be fair,
just the Sergeant giving it a bit of 'look at me.' They could see we weren't kids and looked like we knew what we were doing?? :D

Being an old twat is a good thing sometimes.

Found canal side:

Wdv5WaQ.jpg

Ojay and FreshFingers, thank you. :Not Worthy

He just can't help himself

yikCyf9.jpg

Our transport, safely folded up, cheers mate.

1HgMOFv.jpg

ACUDCoR.jpg

A video, you may have already seen on Ojay' s thread, with a little dialogue and different tunes

[video=youtube;PJlroQcZBpo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlroQcZBpo[/video]

Many thanks for looking :thumb