Web
Analytics
Report - - Babies castle Hawkhurst Kent june 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Babies castle Hawkhurst Kent june 2013

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Babies castle was built in 1866 as a Dr Barnardo childrens home . On 9th August it was formerly opened by Her Royal Highness, The Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck, accompanied by her daughter princess Victoria who was later to become Queen Mary, the wife of King George V. In 1908 Babies Castle became a mixed home for children under eight years of age. It was particularly used for babies and young children who, owing to their physical condition, were not suited for boarding out.On the 21st September 1927 the new extension that had been built was officially opened another outstanding event of that year was the installation of a wireless set which was used for the first time on Christmas Day when the older children listened to the Children's Service. By 1965 the number of children in care at the Babies Castle had so reduced it was decided to finally close the orphanage. It was re-named 'Hawkhurst Castle' and became a private old people's nursing home, but in 2005 it was sold again for £1.7 million and planning permission was granted to turn it into the inevitable "luxury apartments". Babies' Castle was finally demolished in February 2015 after standing as an iconic local landmark for nearly 130 years . It was in a very poor state when visited with Stealth but at that time there was still talk of it being converted . Another one that im glad to have seen and got some photos of .

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Despite exploring Lillesden twice I never managed to make it here, for reasons lost to the mists of time. One of those places I really should have done back in the day.

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Despite exploring Lillesden twice I never managed to make it here, for reasons lost to the mists of time. One of those places I really should have done back in the day.
How funny i was going to do a report on Lillesden next ... there was quite a lot of eplores in the area at the time im sure i missed a few :)

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
A blast from the past again. This place gave me the creeps. Loved the stairs though. But that couch down in the nursing quarters with discarded catheters everywhere :eek: . Nice to see the old place again :thumb

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was about 3 years too late to this one haha, and a year late to Lillesden come to think of it. Think the only thing I ever explored in Hawkhurst was the Badgers Oak Tunnel lol
As old exploring places disappear theres always lovely new ones appearing :)

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A blast from the past again. This place gave me the creeps. Loved the stairs though. But that couch down in the nursing quarters with discarded catheters everywhere :eek: . Nice to see the old place again :thumb
It was a weird one ... it didnt look very appealing considering its age ..it just had afew nice bits so definatly worth a wander back then :)

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
It was a weird one ... it didnt look very appealing considering its age ..it just had afew nice bits so definatly worth a wander back then :)
It was, shame its all gone. Falling down by 2016 though. The external looked great though. The kitchen always smelt horrid, found symbols, blood and pentagram one visit lol.