real time web analytics
Baddersley Pi,t Grendon, North Warwickshire. | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Baddersley Pi,t Grendon, North Warwickshire.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

whatsinaname

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Does anyone know much about this pit plus the more ancient pits which are dotted about on the common.

A couple look like they've been disturbed but I think these are drift type entrances or at least I hope they are as there's lot of material missing on a couple.

whatsinaname

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Do you Baddesley Pit (no r)? There's plenty on Google about it, including this - http://www.baddesleypitexplosion.co.uk/
Yes, I've read all these their on the Friends of Baddersley page I think. The pits I'm quoting I don't think are listed anywhere and I did have a 1:2500 map I looked at from the turn of the last century and their not listed on there either and their older than that map.

Despite Granite running across part of the Merivale ridge Atherstone side, this side has a different composition and coal runs across the surface in certain areas.

Although the Baddersley one was a deep mine.

chris9140

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Does anyone know much about this pit plus the more ancient pits which are dotted about on the common.

A couple look like they've been disturbed but I think these are drift type entrances or at least I hope they are as there's lot of material missing on a couple.
all is i can tell you about that is there us a break in the surface of one of the old tunnels on the common It leads down to What looks like a railway Tunnel> I dont think its been used for eons. I beleive it was a rail track for pit ponys Though not mechanical mining trucks>dont even know where it is. Been watching the video on and off for ages to try and work out where they enter

DJ Fraser

28DL Member
28DL Member
all is i can tell you about that is there us a break in the surface of one of the old tunnels on the common It leads down to What looks like a railway Tunnel> I dont think its been used for eons. I beleive it was a rail track for pit ponys Though not mechanical mining trucks>dont even know where it is. Been watching the video on and off for ages to try and work out where they enter
Which video is this? We have been down and published a video on the tunnel. It was a chain haulage tunnel for mine carts which was dug under the road to avoid tolls. There is a painting of it somwhere online

Skelly

28DL Member
28DL Member
The tunnel was dug in order to transport coals to the nearby Coventry canal, sadly It is collapsed under the road. It was just about passable many years ago with a ropy squeeze through the pile of bricks and soil only leading to another collapse at the NW portal. It operated a 'Megryn' (i believe its called) system of haulage very similar to that employed at the Rhossyd adit 9 tunnel in Wales.