Web
Analytics
Report - - Bailey Mill - Dec 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Bailey Mill - Dec 2015



Worm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
History
The mill was owned by the Mallalieu family who were in the textile business strating with cotton and later moving onto wool. Bailey mill was built in Delph in 3 stages. They started in 1863 with later additions in 1865 and 1871.

The firm went into administration in 1996. They came out of administration when they were bought by another Delph weaving company, Gledhills. However, in doing so, most of the business was transferred to Valley Mill, just up the road. Bailey Mill remained in use until about January 2000.

The old Delph branch line (locally known as The Delph Donkey) once ran along the front of the mill with the last passenger train running on Saturday 30 April 1955. The old track bed is now a popular recreational route to Dobcross and Uppermill. Although the railway infrastructure has mostly been removed, the architecture of the bridges, walls and buttresses remains.

BaileyMill-95fb7c.jpg


BaileyMill-44b74e.jpg


BaileyMill-1b263c.jpg


BaileyMill-6d0585.jpg


BaileyMill-24da56.jpg


BaileyMill-711083.jpg
 

Similar threads