Web
Analytics
Balrossie orphanage exploration 30/6/2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Balrossie orphanage exploration 30/6/2020

Spooki

28DL Member
28DL Member
Balrossie School was originally built as an orphanage by The Sailors Orphans Society of Scotland. It was designed by Glasgow Architect, David Barclay and built in 1898-1899. Money to build the orphanage was raised by various donors and was designed to home 82 boys and 32 girls. It remained an orphanage until the 1930's, when it was purchased by The Boys Brigade and utilised as a training centre. In the 1960's, it was converted to a List D, residential school for boys. The school closed in 1997

I live fairly near this location and have done essentially my whole life. I have explored it numerous time when I was round about early secondary school age. I would hear many stories about teachers and students taking their own lives within the schools and lost spirits wandering the grounds. I am fully aware these are nonsense playground stories but I recently came across information that is arguably even more chilling. I managed to have a chat with a former pupil of the school who is a friend of my Uncle's. he was schooled here for about 5 years in the 70's. He explained to me that the teachers and staff where very abusive and took physical punishment to its legal limits. The teachers would often lock students for hours at a time in cupboards / storage rooms for sometimes hours at a time. They would apparently relentlessly beat students with rulers and belts for doing as little as giving an incorrect answer in a maths quiz. He talked about how one of the teacher liked the kids a bit too much if you know what I mean. He apparently was an english teacher who would often sneak into the dorms to take pictures and hide in the kids rooms while they dressed. The quality of live for these students was abysmal and so there would sometimes be escape attempts, he told me that one of his friends at the time attempted to escape. He ran off in the middle of the night but was quickly found the next day wandering the streets of the nearby village. He was taken back to the school, striped naked in front of teachers and forced to take a freezing cold shower while the headmaster and other staff members threw golf balls at him. I didn't have too much time to talk to him about his experiences being at the school but I hope to talk to him soon about it. It seems that this school was actually a very sinister place. I went back today to explore it and it was hands down the scariest visit of this place in my life due to my exposure to the information. It is now in awful condition and is frankly extremely dangerous due to missing floors and very weak structure. If anybody else has info about this place I would appreciate you contacting me because I know there was more going on in their than we know. P.S. Enjoy the photos

Attachments

mockney reject

Chief Goon
Staff member
Hi @Spooki

Welcome to 28

you appear not to have uploaded any pics, if you need some help just ask

cheers

MR

Spooki

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi @Spooki

Welcome to 28

you appear not to have uploaded any pics, if you need some help just ask

cheers

MR
Balrossie School was originally built as an orphanage by The Sailors Orphans Society of Scotland. It was designed by Glasgow Architect, David Barclay and built in 1898-1899. Money to build the orphanage was raised by various donors and was designed to home 82 boys and 32 girls. It remained an orphanage until the 1930's, when it was purchased by The Boys Brigade and utilised as a training centre. In the 1960's, it was converted to a List D, residential school for boys. The school closed in 1997

I live fairly near this location and have done essentially my whole life. I have explored it numerous time when I was round about early secondary school age. I would hear many stories about teachers and students taking their own lives within the schools and lost spirits wandering the grounds. I am fully aware these are nonsense playground stories but I recently came across information that is arguably even more chilling. I managed to have a chat with a former pupil of the school who is a friend of my Uncle's. he was schooled here for about 5 years in the 70's. He explained to me that the teachers and staff where very abusive and took physical punishment to its legal limits. The teachers would often lock students for hours at a time in cupboards / storage rooms for sometimes hours at a time. They would apparently relentlessly beat students with rulers and belts for doing as little as giving an incorrect answer in a maths quiz. He talked about how one of the teacher liked the kids a bit too much if you know what I mean. He apparently was an english teacher who would often sneak into the dorms to take pictures and hide in the kids rooms while they dressed. The quality of live for these students was abysmal and so there would sometimes be escape attempts, he told me that one of his friends at the time attempted to escape. He ran off in the middle of the night but was quickly found the next day wandering the streets of the nearby village. He was taken back to the school, striped naked in front of teachers and forced to take a freezing cold shower while the headmaster and other staff members threw golf balls at him. I didn't have too much time to talk to him about his experiences being at the school but I hope to talk to him soon about it. It seems that this school was actually a very sinister place. I went back today to explore it and it was hands down the scariest visit of this place in my life due to my exposure to the information. It is now in awful condition and is frankly extremely dangerous due to missing floors and very weak structure. If anybody else has info about this place I would appreciate you contacting me because I know there was more going on in their than we know. P.S. Enjoy the photos