real time web analytics
Report - - Bangour Village Hospital, West Lothian - October/November 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bangour Village Hospital, West Lothian - October/November 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Knowing Bangour is not long for this world, I decided to have another visit on a recent trip back home. There are quite a few parts I hadn't been in so I wanted cover some other places I hadn't put in my 2016 post - https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/bangour-village-hospital-west-lothian-october-2016.114176/

The usual faffing about due to dog walkers and security driving around still applies, the site is so popular these days they have a burger van parked up at the entrance now.

History from Wikipedia:

The hospital was modeled on the example of the Alt-Scherbitz asylum of the 1870s, at Schkeuditz, Germany, and represents one of the first village-plan psychiatric hospitals in Scotland. The Bangour institution comprised individual villas which would house approximately 30 patients each. The village also incorporated its own railway connection, a farm, bakery, workshops, recreation hall, school, shop, library and, latterly, a multi-denominational church.
The hospital was requisitioned by the War Office during both wars when it became the "Edinburgh War Hospital" and "The Scottish Emergency Medical Hospital", reverting to a psychiatric hospital between the wars and after 1945. During the Second World War the patients were evacuated to Hartwoodhill Hospital.
The number of patients rose to over 3,000 in 1918. Temporary marquees and prefabricated huts were erected to cope with the demand for bed space, for both patients and staff. This led to the creation of Bangour General Hospital in the surrounding grounds, which was to become noted in many medical fields, in particular its burns and plastic surgery unit which was established in 1940. It also had a 1st class Maternity Unit serving the whole of the county.
In 1989, St. John's Hospital opened in nearby Livingston, and services were transferred from Bangour General Hospital, which closed in the early 1990s. The Village Hospital also started to wind down after the opening of St Johns, with the last remaining ward closing in 2004.

jRay6g1h.jpg

Ozdv52Rh.jpg

Note how the spelling mistake in the name Alexander Mackenzie in the middle list was rectified:

mmLbXlKh.jpg

hoXviidh.jpg

YAUD731h.jpg

Lots of very warped floors:

C4XBjYih.jpg

u4zk7uAh.jpg

kMVlRyrh.jpg

2mcngfGh.jpg

n8Ek8zZh.jpg

tyeyxPhh.jpg

1YuXknPh.jpg

yT035i8h.jpg

DbTAn5uh.jpg

DNJbavHh.jpg

YR3McZQh.jpg

lj6cvqLh.jpg

RXcMjoKh.jpg

rsTTEWPh.jpg

KyijIE1h.jpg

nyRb5gJh.jpg

6559odTh.jpg

Ozn1PBDh.jpg

kHXuQ2vh.jpg

LrTr7g3h.jpg

KncYeUph.jpg

pC1fVXDh.jpg

PRGCQ1nh.jpg

Continued...

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
Wow, I'd written this place off as not worth the effort even looking at but it definitely is. I'll remember to stop by some time soon :thumb

Pammyj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was a good day out, and was great to meet you finally. Great set of pics that i didn’t photo bomb lol

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's a nice set. Always used to be pretty well secured but looks wide open now... What's happening to it? I'm sure most of the buildings are protected but I'd bet the figures don't stack up for a nice sympathetic conversion...

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's a nice set. Always used to be pretty well secured but looks wide open now... What's happening to it? I'm sure most of the buildings are protected but I'd bet the figures don't stack up for a nice sympathetic conversion...
Nah it wasn’t exactly easy. Just gotta look in the right places!

Some parts are being demolished, others converted. I don’t know the full story as I’ve not bothered to wade through planning etc. just what I’ve been told.

Still a very secure site. Since the sale security has been stepped up quite a lot. I spent more time trying to get in than I did inside, but that’s always been the Bangour that I know and love! :D

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Can vouch for it being secure. Popped in on the way home last weekend and everything was tight as a drum again, although we didn't see anything from security other than their car parked outside their base on the way in.

Who has read this thread (Total: 297) View details