real time web analytics
Report - - Bangour Village Hospital, West Lothian - October 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bangour Village Hospital, West Lothian - October 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
After this came up in conversation on a thread, I thought I'd post some old pics taken on my rusty old 350D.

History from Wikipedia:

The hospital was modeled on the example of the Alt-Scherbitz asylum of the 1870s, at Schkeuditz, Germany, and represents one of the first village-plan psychiatric hospitals in Scotland. The Bangour institution comprised individual villas which would house approximately 30 patients each. The village also incorporated its own railway connection, a farm, bakery, workshops, recreation hall, school, shop, library and, latterly, a multi-denominational church.
The hospital was requisitioned by the War Office during both wars when it became the "Edinburgh War Hospital" and "The Scottish Emergency Medical Hospital", reverting to a psychiatric hospital between the wars and after 1945. During the Second World War the patients were evacuated to Hartwoodhill Hospital.
The number of patients rose to over 3,000 in 1918. Temporary marquees and prefabricated huts were erected to cope with the demand for bed space, for both patients and staff. This led to the creation of Bangour General Hospital in the surrounding grounds, which was to become noted in many medical fields, in particular its burns and plastic surgery unit which was established in 1940. It also had a 1st class Maternity Unit serving the whole of the county.
In 1989, St. John's Hospital opened in nearby Livingston, and services were transferred from Bangour General Hospital, which closed in the early 1990s. The Village Hospital also started to wind down after the opening of St Johns, with the last remaining ward closing in 2004.

This was a nice chilled out explore, most of the day was spent wandering around looking for access. A revisit is on the cards for my next trip back home. This is just a few random shots from the few parts I got in to.

D2gDa8hh.jpg

x9Xkjwph.jpg

EYKi70Nh.jpg

UiVYwJUh.jpg

77r4TErh.jpg

SwvRe8Xh.jpg

8hCQvIWh.jpg

myCy3vjh.jpg

Udmi0mRh.jpg

VPXEvfLh.jpg

Akvssx0h.jpg

PBMsKyGh.jpg

o5DBucIh.jpg

nM0y0SIh.jpg

zny6IFph.jpg

NLgpgqbh.jpg

Thanks for looking.

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
I enjoyed this place when we visited - very trashed but still classic asylum inside. Nice pics man - wouldn’t mind seeing the hall and chapel one day

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I enjoyed this place when we visited - very trashed but still classic asylum inside. Nice pics man - wouldn’t mind seeing the hall and chapel one day
Yeah I need a revisit. I don’t know why I haven’t been back to be honest. A lot more to see than the small handful of parts I managed!