real time web analytics
Report - - Barbour Threads, Hilden, Northern Ireland - July 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barbour Threads, Hilden, Northern Ireland - July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ulsterman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In 1784 John Barbour, who hailed from Scotland, established a linen thread works in Lisburn.

At the same time his son, William, bought a derelict bleach green at Hilden and set up business.

Later, the thread works were transferred to Hilden and as early as 1817 it was employing 122 workers.

In 1823 William Barbour bought a former bleach mill at Hilden and built a water-powered twisting mill.

The Linen Thread Company was founded 1898 and it quickly became a large international company.

In fact it became the largest linen thread mill in the world, giving Lisburn a richly deserved international reputation.

Among the company's varied products were nets, which could be made into snares and fishing nets.

The company built a model village for its workforce in Hilden, which consisted of 350 houses, two schools, a community hall, children's playground and village sports ground.

This is a little bit image heavy I'm afraid, but it is a big place :P

078_zps5ecd4201.jpg

072_zps32f57663.jpg

068_zpsc1258dc2.jpg

034_zpsf5970461.jpg

037_zps2837d376.jpg

040_zpsaea8dbd5.jpg

028_zps1b255898.jpg

030_zps2d7a86e1.jpg

025_zpsf6e154e8.jpg

003_zpsdc4172e1.jpg

002_zpsaccfb8ad.jpg

035_zps4a0614a9.jpg

039_zps2645b8eb.jpg

027_zps15c404f4.jpg

020_zpsa849f017.jpg

025_zpse04058c5.jpg

002_zps244063a3.jpg

007_zps2ccb0dbf.jpg

008_zpse14731ca.jpg

Last edited:

georgie

He Never Even Got There
28DL Full Member
Re: Barbour Threads, Hilden, Northern Ireland

Needs a month/year on the report header bud

mw0sec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Certainly extensive! I note that the pikeys have lifted a large number of slates.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Despite it's appearance i really like the look of this place. The cellar looks like it has blue prints in their too..

Ulsterman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Despite it's appearance i really like the look of this place. The cellar looks like it has blue prints in their too..

Yes in the cellar we found blueprints for linen dye equipment dating back to the 1920s in some places, as well as old magazines and records from different machines :)

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
quite liking this actually... looks like some very nice views to be had from the roof

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User

Yes in the cellar we found blueprints for linen dye equipment dating back to the 1920s in some places, as well as old magazines and records from different machines :)

:thumb good stuff... always nice to find things like that

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Bet you were here for hours, looks absolutely massive. Cool looking place, good shots :thumb

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
This place is a mill explorers wet dream. Been meaning to go back forever.. Good to see some recent pics!

x.ToxicTears

28DL Member
28DL Member
Ahh amazing shots! I did a photoshoot here a year or two ago I think, was in a lot of the places you captured, but you also got some great pictures of parts we didn't come across! Such an amazing building, I'd go every week if I could! Preferably in more appropriate exploring gear than the last time, 8 inch heels and a few bags worth of photography equipment made it much more stressful.:')

Last edited by a moderator: