grey since Nov 6, 2018
28DL Full Member
History • The land was first developed by Barker & Briscoe Ltd under an Interim Development Order dated 1934. The IDO permitted “the development of the land as a brickworks” and allowed for the following: - Erection of the brickworks buildings - Extraction of clay from the ground - Construction of internal roads and hardstandings - The infilling of clay voids with “commercial and household waste.” • Three further Interim Development Orders were granted in 1947, 1951 and 1961 to extend the area of land from which clay could be extracted. • Mr Morgan took ownership of the company Barker & Briscoe Ltd, along with the land and buildings, in 1981. • Planning permission was granted for the construction of a new access to the site from Birkenhead Road in 1984 under planning reference APP/84/024070. • An Enforcement notice was issued in 1989. - The IDO’s listed above allowed the infilling of clay voids subject to a condition that they only be infilled to a level not exceeding the original land levels. The clay void in the centre of site was infilled to a level exceeding the original land land levels and the enforcement notice requires the removal of excess landfill material. - The notice was served on Barker & Briscoe Ltd. - The enforcement notice was not complied with and Barker & Briscoe Ltd was dissolved in 1994. - In 1994 the land at Carr Lane Brickworks was re-registered in the ownership of Brock PLC (company owned by Mr Morgan). But the land subject of the enforcement notice (central part of the site) was not registered in their ownership. - The area of land subject of the enforcement notice remains un-registered and therefore nobody is legally responsible for compliance with the notice. - The enforcement notice remains in force and if anybody were to take ownership of that part of the land in future, they would become legally responsible for compliance with the requirements of the notice.