real time web analytics
Report - - Barking power Station-London-March-2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barking power Station-London-March-2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mrwhite

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Got invited by Slayaaa (cheers for that mate) We actually didn't get in the main building, which looked fantastic. So we settled for next door. Control room was cool, rumours that there are tunnels in there but we didn't find them, probably in the main building i guess.

Full of pigeon shite
we visited Barking C Station

Brief bit of history

Barking A power station​

Prior to the construction of Barking A Power Station, Barking Town Urban District Council operated its own small power station near its offices from 1897 until its closure in 1927.[1] In 1920, the County of London Electric Supply Company applied for permission to build a power station at Creekmouth in Barking capable of expansion to 600 MW.[2] The Barking A Station had 8 C.A. Parsons turbo-generators (4 x 40 MW and 4 X 20 MW) and 22 boilers, plus 2 dedicated reheat boilers. These were in two boiler houses, one being all chain grate boilers (6 B&W and 6 Yarrow) and the other being all pulverised fuel boilers (I.C.L.). Barking Power Station opened in 1925, and in 1927 it took over from the Barking Town Urban District Council station, providing a bulk electricity supply.[1] When completed, the A station was the largest power station in Britain to have been built as a complete station at one time. The Yarrow boilers were scrapped in the early 1950s, their capacity being replaced by steam from the B station via a steam line and suitable regulating equipment. The pulverised fuel boilers were converted to oil firing around 1964.

The site of THE POWER station was chosen for easy delivery of coal from the Thames and by rail, as well as the abundant water supply and space on the site for expansion.[1] A cable tunnel was constructed under the river to supply the south bank with electricity.[3]

Barking B power station​

Barking's original A station was extended by the building of the B station, which began to operate at full capacity in 1939. The capacity of the B Station was 303 MW with 4 x 75 MW B.T.H. turbo-generators plus a small house generator of 3.5 MW capacity. Steam conditions were 600 psig and 800'F. The B Station had 16 B&W chain grate boilers, each capable of producing 256,000 lbs steam per hour. These were arranged in two boiler houses, with 8 boilers in each. THE POWER station was transferred to the London Division of the British Electricity Authority in 1948.[1] The B station closed on 15 March 1976, at which time its generating capacity was 144 megawatts.[4]

Barking C power station​

The British Electricity Authority built a third station at Creekmouth, which was completed in 1954. The station was closed on 26 October 1981, at which time its generating capacity was 220 MW.[4] All three stations have since been demolished. The C Station had three B.T.H. 75 MW turbo-generators operating with steam conditions of 900 psig and 900'F. There were 6 B&W boilers, 5 being pulverised fuel and the sixth a cyclone furnace. The pulverised fuel boilers were converted to oil firing around 1960.

DSC09677_zpskrafjhgy.gif

View attachment 626481

View attachment 626482

View attachment 626483

View attachment 626484

View attachment 626485

View attachment 626486

View attachment 626487

View attachment 626488

View attachment 626489

View attachment 626490

View attachment 626491

View attachment 626492

View attachment 626493 [/CENTER]

AndrewB

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice, this place seems to be forgotten about. There are alot of tunnels and underground rooms. They are the best bits.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Tour operators wont park the bus in River Road in case its wheels arnt there when they come back!

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
aha. This has been my plan B or plan C backups on to many trips now. Good to see it is still looking lovely

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Excellent report, enjoyed reading! Always like seeing pics from here too.

I need to go myself at some point but I seem to be allergic to southerners ;)

I did read a recent report saying that the tunnels had been blocked up though? coughsledgehammercough

Pest

Read comics and sleep all day, = no worries
28DL Full Member
Bloody hell; is this place still standing? I thought there was supposed to be a redevelopment plan for this area.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Someone told me the tunnel entrance i used had been blocked but there was more i found from below just didn't have time to note where they were exactly above.. The whole site including all the live buildings are linked underground and there's a tunnel under the Thames too

upright_ninja

Picture of Stealth
28DL Full Member
Good stuff... love the fire warning sign, very matter of fact! Just down the road from me so must pay the place a visit!

u>.<n

ekto

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I kept this place as quiet as possible for years not letting on when people ask me about the control room I been waiting to see it pop up on here! Access is easy if you know how gotta pick the right day of the week too, This is my local theres not much to see in the other building to be honest the best of it all is that control room, dont bother with the tunnels they are long closed up now, did you see the abandoned boat on the river opposite it? Worth a 30 min mooch...

mrwhite

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I kept this place as quiet as possible for years not letting on when people ask me about the control room I been waiting to see it pop up on here! Access is easy if you know how gotta pick the right day of the week too, This is my local theres not much to see in the other building to be honest the best of it all is that control room, dont bother with the tunnels they are long closed up now, did you see the abandoned boat on the river opposite it? Worth a 30 min mooch...

nope didnt even know about the boat, but it sounds like another trip is on the cards

ekto

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
gis a shout if you do, ill show you access to other building we thought we made some headway this weekend with the tunnels, we found a new room... turned out to be another dead end breeze blocked door.. it is definately a sledgehammer job now...

Dmax

Don't eat my biscuit !
28DL Full Member
that's one lovely switch room for sure me and some friends got into here many years ago , nice to see its still standing :)