Web
Analytics
Report - - Baron Hill Mansion Anglesey Aug 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Baron Hill Mansion Anglesey Aug 2011

Georgie60

exitus acta probat
28DL Full Member
Baron Hill Mansion Anglesey

First explore I went on,solo visit, not a clue what to expect,just had been told there was a lost Mansion
Near Beaumaris.
Brief History
Originally built 1618,reconstructed in 1776 by architect Samuel Wyatt in the Neo-Palladium Style.
In the 19th Century the occupants were the dominant landowners of Anglesey.During the First World War Death duties soaked up most of the Family fortune and it was impossible for the then owners
Williams Bulkeley to maintain the property.
During the Second World War the house was occupied by Polish Soldiers,and so the story goes it was
So cold that they lit a fire to keep warm,guess what happened next???.
The House has been left to rot since then,although there have been plans to turn it into apartments,
But nothing been done to date.

Have been a couple of times now and always find something different,just love this place,Peace & Quiet!
Pics from Last Year.

Main Gates 2 Mile Private Road to Estate,
IMG_1523.jpg
Lodge
IMG_0934-1.jpg

Folly
IMG_0718-1.jpg

IMG_1566-1.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0755-1.gif

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg
Tribute to the Family Pets,
IMG_0882.jpg
View from back garden overlooking the Menai Sraits and Welsh Mountains
IMG_2631.jpg

Thanks for looking

Attachments

Chloe5427

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Spent a couple hours exploring the mansion but couldn't find the main gates, do they still exist or have they been taken down? Thanks

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As far as I can recall - the house had a Menagerie in the grounds - complete with elephants and large cats - there are also extensive orangeries, glasshouses, kitchen gardens and stables on site as well. I did hear locally that it was all a ploy to entice Queen Victoria to come and stay, rather than go the Pennant's house over at Phenryn.
Back in 2008 this was all being surveyed and the undergrowth cut back in preparation for converting the building into luxury apartments - looks like that plan still has to come into fruition!
Walking the driveway is interesting a few bits and bobs (as well as 'fasands of bloody rhododendrons - V. photogenic wen in flower) along the way, but just be a bit Q/T around the gates on the main road, and watch out for the gamekeeper, he seemed affable when I was last there moons ago, but the situation may have changed!

(BTW - if anyone needs an inflatable for the CRTT then ABC Power Marine at Gallows Point Marina are a good hit, Vanoord bought a load moons ago and I think he's still trying to shift them!!)

Last edited:

Yorrick

I call bullshit!
Regular User
I walked the length of it from the bridge to the gates looking for the ice house, only to realise walking back that I'd missed it in the first 100 metres!

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Back up from the lodge house by the bridge???

Yorrick

I call bullshit!
Regular User
That's it yeah. You can see the bottom of the chute from the road. It's bit of a scramble to get to the entrance.

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Aye that's the badger, beautiful brickwork in the dome, shame the pit's full of carp!

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You had a look at the old quarry hospital in Bathesda, over Ogwen Bridge?? - love the old graff that's carved into the parapets!!