Web
Analytics
Report - - Baron Hill mansion, June 2011, beaumaris anglesey | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Baron Hill mansion, June 2011, beaumaris anglesey

The Kwan

Easily Led
Regular User
#1
A VISIT TO A MANSION earlier this year.....visited with sephiroth


Baron Hill is an estate in Beaumaris, Anglesey, named after the hill on which it stands. It was established in 1618 by Sir Richard Bulkeley, as the seat of the influential Bulkeley family , who were originally from Cheshire, until William Bulkeley was appointed Deputy Constable of Beaumaris Castle. He then married one of the daughters of Gwilym ap Gruffydd ap Gwylim, a local big cheese, and began the accumulation of land and public offices, which eventually lead to the Bulkeley family being one of the largest landowners in Anglesey.

The house was built in 1618 during the reign of James the 1st and was re-modelled in the Neo-Palladian style in 1776.

King Edward VII visited Baron Hill and had tea on the terrace in 1907. Shortly after this, during WW1, death duties soaked up the family fortune and made it impossible for the family (by then called Williams-Bulkeley) to continue to maintain the house. They were forced to move into more modest accommodation nearby.

Baron Hill was then used for storage until WW2, when it was converted into a billet for Polish soldiers. Apparently the old house was so cold at night that the Poles burnt down part of the building in the hope that they would be transferred to warmer accommodation, but this backfired on them, as they were re-housed in colder wooden huts in the gardens.

UPDATE--THIS SITE IS NOW BEING DEVELOPED INTO LUXURY APARTMENTS

as it was back then.



and as it is today (note the shadows across the windows) the place falls apart but the sun still shines the same day in and day out.
35007456042_2579c50979_c.jpg



delapidated but still beautiful
34362980953_2d54e3b889_c.jpg


Grand doorway
34362985253_2a57ef1ed8_c.jpg



The king Edward VII had tea here in 1907



and the same terrace today
34785808670_bd68776f69_c.jpg


inside the main staircase is in a bad way
34362981303_5c97336cd5_z.jpg


part is missing and has to be travelled by plank...easy going up but a mare coming down
34362978623_2b89f244fd_c.jpg



The bog, again the last bottom to perch on this was probably Polish.
35007455762_7d1f2264c2_z.jpg


The kitchen
35007453902_7855b07a61_c.jpg



servants entrance
34362982503_85f81ffe92_z.jpg


Thanks for looking
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Similar threads