real time web analytics
Report - - Barrow Hospital, Bristol, December 2013 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barrow Hospital, Bristol, December 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hector Rex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ok, so I'm posting a little late as I've been pretty busy the last few weeks but I'm here now.

I managed to get a look round Barrow Hospital with a couple of non-members in late December, the demise of the site is well documented on here with reports going back to its closure in 2006. The site is in a sorry state now and has had a good going through by vandals, graffiti artists and demolition has finally begun in earnest from what i can see. even in it's dilapidated state it is still an appealing explore.

I'm sure many of you will know the history but here is a brief overview, with information taken from good old Wikipedia.

Barrow Hospital (sometimes referred to as Barrow Gurney Hospital) was a psychiatric hospital in Barrow Gurney, Somerset, United Kingdom. An extensive site was planned to alleviate overcrowding at the City of Bristol Mental Hospital and was to comprise of 25 villas to house 1,200 patients. construction began in 1934 and the first patients were received in 1934 when the hospital was half built. The outbreak of the Second World War saw a freeze in construction which was never resumed, the existing Villas and service buildings being used for wounded service personnel.

After the war the hospital once again fulfilled its original purpose, with numbers of patients dwindling following the care in the community act (usual asylum story). The hospital was finally closed in 2006 and numerous plans have been put forward forward for redevelopment. However it is only recently that demolition of the main service building begun.

when we visited there were numerous diggers and such like on site, as well as a few construction workers.

All my photos were taken on my HTC 1 (DSLR coming soon..) so bare with the fact that they might not be up to the standard many of you are used to!

IMAG0631_zpsdewk7ewy.jpg

IMAG0639_zps9wicwcyw.jpg

IMAG0647_zpsqx91nm3i.jpg

IMAG0660_zpsnttv5qjt.jpg

IMAG0665_zpshgresioe.jpg

IMAG0666_zps7tojvufv.jpg

IMAG0667_zpscyjxg5qe.jpg

IMAG0686_zpsi2ueqiub.jpg

IMAG0688_zpsk66t7sov.jpg

IMAG0703_zpsyp1z1i0f.jpg

IMAG0709_zpsfpb4ngra.jpg

IMAG0724_zpsjn6ioszl.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pictures and thanks for looking.

All the best,

HR

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details