real time web analytics
Report - - Barrow Hospital, Bristol - The 6th Aniversary Tour - March 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barrow Hospital, Bristol - The 6th Aniversary Tour - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
barrow_aerial.jpg

Visited with Erie - while on site it dawned upon me that it was exactly 6 years to the weekend that I finally started to gain access to the buildings after a patient wait (and multiple failed and caught efforts the year previous) - Barrow wasn't always the way it has been since 2009. In fact it was quite the opposite. Built as as overflow for the Bristol County Asylum on the other side of town it represents the last purpose built mental institution of the Victorian Asylum/County Asylums act. A colony plan by design it actually had plans to be almost triple the size but the expansion was short lived with the 1950s drug breakthrough.

g11.jpg

1.jpg

The first time we visited this was during a typically messy 28 pissup that had been held in Bristol. The first visit came on the Friday night when we first accessed the administration block and mortuary. Over the next 6-8 months the buildings slowly all became accessible as the previous good security was replaced with pikeys who systematically stripped and buggered the place senseless. 6 years later they are finally knocking down the last remaining buildings. Well I say buildings as they resemble nothing more than burnt out shells in most cases.

So here's a few before/after shots over the years. Sadly all my old reports have long been consigned to the bin during my exiled years on here ;) Thank you Barrow, my local. It's been fun.

b2.jpg
b1.jpg

The Sunday Morning post pissup, lots of hung over people on the sofa. Not sure who's in this picture? Rigsby, Dreamworx, AGK, Pob, Winch, Tunnelover?

barrow_sofa.jpg

Some of the villas - most of these went in 2009. I feel sorry for anyone who ended up in one of these, they were grim.

099.jpg

050.jpg

39.jpg

33.jpg

The only building constructed post 1939 - Brockley House a medium secure unit which was only 10 years old when the hospital closed. It had a modern seclusion cell.

102.jpg

020.jpg

024.jpg

030.jpg

The main administration blocks has lasted the 6 years, mainly due to bat infestation.

080.jpg

116.jpg

barrow_reception.jpg

barrow_reception2.jpg

barrow_corridor.jpg

barrow_corridor2.jpg

The woodside block remained tight longer than most, due to its proximity to the security lodge. It's been the location for a few rather mad free parties. At one stage it was going to be retained for use in a planned retirement village. Like most things planned, it's never happened.

180.jpg

190.jpg

192.jpg

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 8) View details