real time web analytics
Report - - Barton Arcade, Manchester (revisited) - Dec 2012. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barton Arcade, Manchester (revisited) - Dec 2012.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Barton Arcade, Manchester

barton_arcade.jpg

My second trip to this place, except this time I decided to take a closer look at some of the other fine deco this place has to offer

This fine three storey cast iron and glass conservatory-like structure with its cast iron roof was erected by Corbett, Raby and Sawyer in 1874

The arcade was the first building erected on the newly widened Deansgate

Its cast iron and glass were produced at the Macfarlane Saracen Glass Factory in Glasgow

Macfarlanes were the leading makers of architectural cast iron decorative details, Walter Macfarlane the founder of the company was originally a silversmith

The building has been extensively restored since the 1980's, and is now a Grade II Listed Building of special architectural interest

Many of the original shop fronts have long since disappeared as have the decorative tiled floors

Its renaissance is a tribute to the conservator's skill and sensitivity, and is now home to many elegant and high class shops

Apologies for the shaky pics, this was a rushed job with the ISO ramped up on the way to something else, still it got me out of the rain for 20 mins :thumb

Make some noise..

1_1.jpg

2_2.jpg

3_2.jpg

4_2.jpg

5_2.jpg

There were no lights on in here the last time around :confusion

9_2.jpg

7_2.jpg

8_2.jpg

6_2.jpg

In the end I was busted, still a fair cop and I'd already seen the undercroft before

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details