real time web analytics
Report - - Barton Park nursing home, Birkdale - May 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barton Park nursing home, Birkdale - May 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not as many interesting features in this one to photograph but the property, the events and subsequent court case that took place make for some interesting reading.

Barton park nursing home sits amongst some of the most luxurious properties in Birkdale. It is formed from two large Victorian houses joined by means of a four storey extension between the two. I can’t find any more history on the properties other than discovering that nursing home was formed as a company in 1976 with the current owner taking over from his parents in the 1990’s.

In hit the headlines in 2014 as police swooped on the homes owner David Barton after it emerged he had been grooming some of the residents for financial benefit and fraudulently controlling their bank accounts. The police were alerted after Barton tried to claim £10 million from a deceased residents will.
The trial which was the longest ever at Liverpool Crown Court lasted over a year and uncovered that Barton obtained £4.1 million from his residents between 1997 and 2014.
He also amassed a fleet of luxury cars including 4 Ferraris and 2 Rolls-Royces and built up a property empire.
Barton was sentenced for 21 years (reduced to 17 on appeal) for his crimes.

Details of the court case specifying how he defrauded the residents are in the article below that also includes the appeal details.
https://www.exchangechambers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Barton-Booth-APPROVED-29-04-2020.pdf

The home was banned from taking on new residents for 2 years after the case and in 2018 the Care Quality Commission took urgent action to close it after the quality of care deteriorated significantly.

The building was sold for £1.8 million and plans have been approved for it to be demolished and to be replaced by 3 luxury properties with the stripping out work underway. Details can be found here:
https://planning.org.uk/app/30/QQDRD4NWIQ900/

Access was tricky but I took advantage of an opportunity that presented itself to get in after a number of failed attempts. As you can see not a lot remains of the nursing home with rooms full of stripped out floorboards, carpets, beds etc.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely building. But my god thats bad history. Taking all that money from clients, their heirs/family must of been horrified. It doesnt say if any of them got a penny back. Another Shipman with the will debacle. 21 yrs should have stayed 21 yrs in my opinion

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely building. But my god thats bad history. Taking all that money from clients, their heirs/family must of been horrified. It doesnt say if any of them got a penny back. Another Shipman with the will debacle. 21 yrs should have stayed 21 yrs in my opinion
Basically stealing from the dead! I didn’t put a link to the newspaper reports (there easily found if you google them) but the judge didn’t hold back on calling him out for his greed and selflessness in the trial.