real time web analytics
Report - - Barton Undercroft - Manchester - March 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barton Undercroft - Manchester - March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Hi all this is a cool little place. Its the barton undercroft in manchester. Its an abaondoned horror walk also now lol. Very cool. Anyway on with some history.

History

The arcade was listed as a Grade II* listed building on the 25 January 1972. The listing includes the "block of shops (Barton's Building) and offices enclosing the arcades." It was constructed by Corbett, Raby and Sawyer in 1871.[2] Hartwell describes the Barton's Building facade as "utterly ignorant.. the ground floor pilasters must be seen to be believed."[3] The arcade, however, is "a gorgeous glass and iron shopping arcade with glass domes..., the best example of this type of cast-iron and glass arcade anywhere in the country."[3] The entrance to the arcade on St Ann's Square incorporates a large, cast iron and glass wall. The two entrances on Deansgate are hidden behind the Barton Building. The building is of "four storeys with an attic, a long nine-bay facade to Deansgate, divided in half horizontally by a balustraded balcony".[2] The structure is composed of cast iron and glass. The iron work was supplied by the Macfarlane Saracen Glass Factory in Glasgow.[3] The building was one of the first to be built on the newly widened Deansgate.[4] The arcade was restored in the 1980s. The original shop fronts and decorative floor no longer exist

Thats from wiki but some other bits i found

It was used as some sort of ghost tour by a company called flecky bennet. And they talk about anne frank etc. It was used has a bunker in the blitz etc. When they was told they couldent do it anymore seems they left a lot of stuff. very intresting if a little fooked up and creepy has shit when you turn a corner and 6 mannequins stare back. Anyway was bloody great fun And visited with @stranton and a big thanks to @Bolts also. Things went fairly well until we opened a door and out came the alarms and secca. Talk about move fast lol. we got out ok but fook wish i could have mooched a bit more. Got a couple of pics from roof also. Overall just a fun night. Just dont mension the fact we went into a carpark found an open door went for a we mooch has you do only to find a fooking bank vault and cctv every where jeesus we ran like the wind lol. Shame sadly no pics for obvious reasons ie bloody cam right at us. Outside on the side of the building in big fooking letters it says BANK lol. Yes folks a maybe live bank by accident lol. Awesome. Never stuck around to find out. And good job cause a guy was seeling us in and he said his stuff about police and we where robbers etc etc lol. And off we went.

Anyways some pics for you. Enjoy all thanks for reading. Bout time i put up some backlog lol.

DSC07117_zpswrsa49mn.jpg

DSC07114_zpsqgvdapti.jpg

DSC07112_zps1jooftmt.jpg

DSC07115_zps9v3pipv9.jpg

DSC07111_zps4gaiw3sv.jpg

DSC07109_zpsbrctlpm0.jpg

DSC07110_zpsuk522lak.jpg

DSC07105_zpsncpa0kde.jpg

DSC07106_zpsg6tx3ls8.jpg

DSC07102_zpshr2ameby.jpg

DSC07100_zpsmjzlhsys.jpg

DSC07101_zpsfwxjhfu8.jpg

DSC07095_zpsxkvjabgl.jpg

DSC07098_zpsabonfxze.jpg

DSC07119_zpsrgxi4jtu.jpg

DSC07121_zpskkdjprfl.jpg

Thanks for looking..

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
Wicked pictures, mate! Looks like a boss little mooch :thumb

Talk about burying the lead though! ITT, Choo Choo m8ty et al. accidentally done an ue on a live bank!

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
nice photographs,
you took your time with this thread. :D

having coffee at Midland hotel £3.85 :eek: as I write this,
hopefully I will see you tomorrow m8ty?