real time web analytics
Report - - Bassaleg Mortuary, Bassaleg, Dec 2020 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bassaleg Mortuary, Bassaleg, Dec 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Whilst surfing the web, like most nights, this rather unexpected structure came up after news article documented its sale.

The mortuary's history didn't appear to be that well documented online with the only hint being of its closure around 2019 although appearing disused a year prior on boogle earth. The only references to a morgue with history was that of nearby St Woolos, which is not the same place.
Eventually after some digging through planning permission files an original name came up.
Lyndon Bassett Funeral Directors, at least I think that's the name, unfortunately that's all I could dig up.
Future:
Planning permission has been granted as of August 2020 to rip down the mortuary, after the ambulance service purchased the land prior, and use the land as space to park vehicles.
The building itself is rather small consisting of a viewing room separated by glass, two toilets and the room in which houses the porcelain slab and a singular body fridge.

Terrible phone camera quality.

The visit:
It was a miserable day and the plan was to head west, check out a few bits around the west, pop over to this mortuary since it would be close by and head back via some other spots.
Pulling up and taking a walk in the glorious rain around the perimeter of the mortuary it was clear that the chances of getting inside were about 50/50, thankfully, it wasn't impossible.

From the entrance door.

Viewing room?

Overview of the room.

Some quick close ups

Fridge, Slab and Door.

Misc

And with that..​

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Still in good condition then ( meaning Dec 20) NP done well to keep this off the radar. Shame its going now. Smashing photos of the place. :thumb

Seffy

Staff member
Still in good condition then ( meaning Dec 20) NP done well to keep this off the radar. Shame its going now. Smashing photos of the place. :thumb
That’s why I posted it in there in Feb; gave a few more heads the chance to see it if they fancied. NP has served its purpose well here but the time is up really as been posted further and wider now. Next!

Who has read this thread (Total: 294) View details