real time web analytics
Question - - Bats & Tunnels | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Bats & Tunnels

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

__slobo

28DL Member
28DL Member
I'm doing a project on how bats use tunnels around the UK and this site has been the most useful for gathering info so far.

It would be great if people could let me know any tunnel sites they have been to where they noticed any bat activity. I'm based in Northumberland, so sites in and around the North of England are preferred, but I'm also more than happy to drive further afield for the right tunnel.

I'd appreciate your help, my underground amigos.

Cheers.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
You shall struggle I think without proper equipment until roosting season , then you should not be disturbing them if I was you I would try and contact local wildlife groups / bat conservation groups just incase you end up getting yourself in a lot of trouble as disturbing them is not advised :thumb

on a permission visit in a mine / cave with @Lord Oort

Also find a lot inside entrances to churches in the roof joists of the porches

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Your best bet is to contact local Bat Conservation Groups, as others have said, disturbing bats (even your LED head torch will wake them up) could end up with a £5K+!!

Down on Mendip there are major concentrations of Lesser and Greater Horseshoe bats, one winter hibernacularum regularly has 1,000+ residents, Wiltshire has concentrations of the above species plus Whiskererd bats as well.

(NO! I'm not telling you where these roosts are - you will find that reaction from most that know where the roosts are!)

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Northumberland Bat Group

will be resuming field trips this coming winter