real time web analytics
Report - - Battenhall Mount, Former St Mary’s Convent School, Worcester - February 2017 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Battenhall Mount, Former St Mary’s Convent School, Worcester - February 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Last month, @clebby gave @SpiderMonkey and I the heads-up on this place and after a quick Google we decided to head down to Worcester at the next available opportunity. We noticed a few people had tried before, only to find active security scuppering their success, so we were slightly apprehensive about what we may have to deal with. It would seem we got lucky with timing and found it relatively relaxed. Clebby was kind enough to grace us with his presence later on in the day, sans tripod.

I fully expected this one to have received extensive tourbus treatment by now, but other than our visit and Clebby's subsequent revisit, avec tripod and friends, I've not seen anything else. The buildings are used for various police training exercises and according to the signing-in book, they have numerous visitors throughout the week. I hear a group went during the subsequent week and were greeted by an unhappy owner inside, with claims of hidden cameras... God knows!

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-47.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-45.jpg

History

St Mary’s Convent School was originally Battenhall Mount, an impressive house built around 1865-9 for William Spriggs, a Quaker and Worcester Clothier, in the Italianate style popularised by Prince Albert. In the 1890s the house was enlarged in a matching style by the architect John Henry Williams of Worcester for the Hon. Alfred Percy Allsopp. Allsopp was a local brewer who owned the Star Hotel and was Mayor of Worcester in 1892, 1894 and 1905. The original house is now incorporated into the South West corner of the property.

The building was used as a convalescent home during the First World War. It then became the home of the Sisters of St. Marie Madeleine Postel, a Roman Catholic Teaching Order, in 1933. St. Mary’s was a popular and well-regarded independent nursery and school until its closure in 2014.

Italianate styled interior, matching the external appearance...
battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-21.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-15.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-32.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-18.jpg

Moving into the music room, which was just as impressive with its large fireplace
battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-37.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-39.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-33.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-29.jpg

And this drawing room!

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-41.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-34.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-36-40.jpg

Entrance lobby and top of the tower

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-35.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-14.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-16.jpg

Moving further, we find the later addition of buildings that forms the main concentration of classrooms

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-43.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-9.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-5.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-31.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-12.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-7.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-10.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-22.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-23.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-26.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-27.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-28.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-a-1.jpg

battenhall-mount-st-marys-convent-school-worcester-1.jpg

Yes, we tried it out!​

Last edited:

Streuth

28DL Member
28DL Member
Loved looking at these pics. I went to the Convent and loved roaming around the corridors, checking out the many rooms, running up and down stairs and we knew some awesome hiding spots. Of course I didn't appreciate the beauty of it at the time. Just enjoyed my time at the school. Thanks for the great memories :-)

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Loved looking at these pics. I went to the Convent and loved roaming around the corridors, checking out the many rooms, running up and down stairs and we knew some awesome hiding spots. Of course I didn't appreciate the beauty of it at the time. Just enjoyed my time at the school. Thanks for the great memories :-)

Hi, nice to hear from you, it's always interesting to hear from people who went to, or are connected with the buildings we visit. Glad I could rekindle some good memories.

Robin B

28DL Member
28DL Member
I went to the infants section of the school in 1958 to 1961; happy times. The Nuns were very patient and kind, the surroundings were lovely and the Summer Fêtes were legendary. There was a plate smashing stall where Worcester Porcelain rejects were the targets! The picture of the room with the stage brought back the Christmas the Nuns hired The Wizard of Oz film for a treat for us.
The photographs are in lovely detail and bring back lots of memories.

OUTLINE9

28DL Member
28DL Member
hey pal. i live in worcester and me and friends went today to try and get in. how did you guys get in

brickx

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just a heads up for this place. Depending on which dog unit is there they are holding people until the police come and if you try and run they will let the dogs go after you.