real time web analytics
Report - - Battersea Power Station - London - April 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Battersea Power Station - London - April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

extreme_ironing

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Have been down here a few times since the start of the month to check out access and security issues but this is the first time I've made it upstairs, was making good progress on my previous visit but seems I mistook another forum member for security and I gave up after hanging around in some shadows for a good while. :banghead Didn't have time to work on switch room B so am going to revisit, lots changing on ground level between each visit.

Thanks to Sentinel for some awesome access tips. [: :Not Worthy

I could write an essay on the history of the place but it's been done so many times before.. so something ripped from the web: "Battersea Power Station is a decommissioned coal-fired power station located on the south bank of the River Thames, in Battersea, an inner-city district of South West London. It comprises two individual power stations, built in two stages in the form of a single building. Battersea A Power Station was built in the 1930s, with Battersea B Power Station to its east in the 1950s. The two stations were built to an identical design, providing the well known four-chimney layout. The station ceased generating electricity in 1983, but over the past 50 years it has become one of the best known landmarks in London and is Grade II* listed.[1][2] The station's celebrity owes much to numerous cultural appearances, which include a shot in The Beatles' 1965 movie Help!, appearing in the video for the 1982 hit single "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" by heavy metal band Judas Priest and being used in the cover art of Pink Floyd's 1977 album Animals, as well as a cameo appearance in Take That's music video "The Flood". In addition, a photograph of the plant's control room was used as cover art on Hawkwind's 1977 album Quark, Strangeness and Charm."

Taken from Battersea Park

PBV6VTb.jpg

Great lifts.

PdVYAo0.jpg

Ground level stairs up.

vHgOHqR.jpg

Up top.

Rjvv8Xc.jpg

Control Room A

k4WzziS.jpg

Control Room A

OQAqyC7.jpg

Looking out onto the turbine hall.

6luJ9T6.jpg

Taken from the base of the chimney, hoping to walk across to the other side but didn't happen. :P

IMekLQX.jpg

New housing developments, taken from the derelict wharf connected to the station.

qaz4iw6.jpg

Last edited:

extreme_ironing

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics, you must of been the chap that me and another member bumped into you on the roof.

Cheers, yeah.

I was a bit out of it from lack of sleep. :P Couldn't even remember my handle here, probably not best state of mind to be wandering around on scaffolding. :D

That way out was pretty easy. :cool

extreme_ironing

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank you [: - I'm quite fond of the exterior frames.

I use a Fuji X-T1 with a Fuji XF 10-24 F4 and 55-200 F3.5-5, also have a X100s which is 23mm F2. Next on the list is a 35mm 1.4 and I think I have all bases covered then. Also have a Samyang 8mm Fisheye which I didn't bring this time but could have made for a few interesting pics in retrospect, so might bring that next time.

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Im thw other guy you bumped into on the roof. We actually found another way out in the end... Its always nice to bump into people in this place.

Nice set by the way

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
I was up the chimney when you were speaking to my mates on the roof I think, how I missed you on your way up I do not know?!

Decent flicks anyhow bud :thumb

error606

L'Architect
28DL Full Member
Nice pictures! Just passed this and saw new scaffolding popping out the inside of the chimney - must get around to doing this