real time web analytics
Report - - Battersea Powerstation (Chimney Climb) April 2014. | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Battersea Powerstation (Chimney Climb) April 2014.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Battersea Powerstation - (Chimney Climb)

2a.jpg

I'm not about to regurgitate more history, so read all about it here http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/battersea-powerstation-july-2013.t83906

The legend that is Stepping Lightly first tackled one of the chimneys here back in 2008, almost 6 years ago now

I once asked him why, the answer was something along the lines of "because I could" - fair play!

His original thread can be found here http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/battersea-chimney-climb-june-08.t31837

Over the years he's hinted a number of times I should get up, when infact I've probably spent the remainder of the time talking about it :D

We had plans to tackle it last year, and after more talking it still never happened..

Mention chimney's and another name pops up - Bigjobs. He can usually be found naked 200ft up the nearest brick stack

Back in 2012 Jobs, Fishbrain, Sho & Millhouse took on the mighty Battersea again

You can read all about it here http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/battersea-powerstation-chimney-climb-2012.t74948

Props to them guy's for getting it done, absolute legends too IMO :thumb

Lastly, not forgetting the fella's that built these fine stacks, they sure knew how to enjoy a safety brew :brew

CHIM1.jpg

CHIM2.jpg

:Not Worthy the lot of you

Now then, back to reality..

We visited the power station far too many times back in 2013, purely to view as much as we could of the gaff (as work had started up), before it was too late

Each time, we made a point of climbing up to the chimney's, however it was never going to be enough

NE1.jpg

DSC_5186_2.jpg

^ (On our final jaunt, the upper scaff deck as seen here had since been removed, adding several metres to the original ascent)

More talking ensued, although we did agree we would have a go as soon as we could free up some time honest:p:

Whilst down in LON I've been keeping my eye on the place, in the past 6 months a lot has changed with the site and they really do mean business this time

Until recently the tour bus had stalled and everyone had assumed it was impossible, infact it was now more of an assault course than it's ever been for sure

A week or so ago I noticed they had installed two fall arrest ladders on the SW chimney

Also the rig that will be used to demo the chimney had now popped out of the top

These were also visible on a recent report on here and I'm surprised nobody else had attempted it

I messaged GAJ who wasn't free for over a week, and he mentioned Keïteï was back also for one night only and suggested we go for it then

Sitting tight for 8 day's was never going to be easy!

It was simply a case of pull fingers out or miss out, whatever the outcome we had to take our chances

A long time coming this...

1a.jpg

No sooner had we arrived, some epic lighting show appeared out of nowhere, (you can just about see it in the above pic) ^

A collective WTF? echoed

The entire North side of the station and all 4 chimney's were now randomly being lit up like Xmas trees

In the end this continued well into the early hours, long after we'd took the decision to crack on all the same

Yes the pics are rather shyte, you won't see these in Time Out :rolleyes:

It was never about the pics anyway just to be stood on top of one of those iconic stacks was more than enough

Hauling all the gear up between us was effort, it was now later than expected so we decided to have a safety nap

3a.jpg

No matter how long it would take, it was fairly certain at this point it would be daylight before we headed down

The ladders were tempting but not an option here, we agreed rope or nothing from the outset

GAJ insisted on leading this one, there was no negotiation he wanted to do it and a seriously good effort!

As we were setting up we noticed a dog unit parked at the base between the 2 chimney's

They were patrolling about every often with said K9 in a separate compound with full view of the pitch we were about to climb

What with light show and dogs it was certainly going to be an interesting one

I was fully expecting to greet Jean Michel Jarre at the top, either him or Keith Laird :D

Keïteï ascended up next and I went to sleep as I was knackered

Woken by a faint whiff of fresh in the air as father Thames rolled in, I looked up to see she was up

My turn then I guess..

Having not slept for almost 48 hours, every bit of energy was sapped from my body

The next 40+ metres were going to require some pace.. as I started my ascent I thought "only 24 Ojay's to go then"

> Chimney height from ground level is 135m

> Chimney stack itself is 42.2m (exc wash tower)

Boy I was glad to see that capping ring come into sight, just a traverse and a couple of moves at the top and I was up

The feeling was overwhelming, I was tired beyond belief, and all I could do was stare down in awe, I almost had to pinch myself!

4a.jpg

It wasn't as clear as it had been earlier, a mist had rolled in, eventually I decided to grab a few pics before going for a poke about

The rig is built into the chimney and has the ability to climb up and down inside whilst they prepare it for demolition

5a.jpg

A ladder down takes you inside the chimney suspended onto a lower platform below the top section of the rig

One thing was being able to get on top, but to actually get inside it was an added bonus

Fatigue brought on giggles, I was mildly amused by the 'Delta Rescue kit bag' that was leaning against the ladder

I was half expecting it to be full of polystyrene cups and tea bags :D

The lads have been on with cleaning and painting inside the chimney I've been reliably informed, their D.I.Y skills and cleaning abilities leave a lot to be desired..

6.jpg

The whole rig moves about so grabbing pics handheld was never going to be easy

Inside the chimney was nicely lit, it's times like these I wish I'd fetched the tripod

This ones my favourite looking down (although crap) reminds me of a drain

7a.jpg

A few more

8a.jpg

9b.jpg

10a.jpg

Nine Elms

11a.jpg

Outta here

12a.jpg

Massive shouts to GAJ & Keïteï for a memorable effort

Thanks for looking :thumb

View attachment 588746

View attachment 588748

View attachment 588750

View attachment 588752

View attachment 588754

View attachment 588756

View attachment 588758

View attachment 588760

View attachment 588762

View attachment 588764

View attachment 588766

View attachment 588768

View attachment 588770

View attachment 588772

View attachment 588775

View attachment 588776

Keitei

Tomb Raider
28DL Full Member
Top write up and photos for an epic night :)!
Well worth the effort, will add my photos soon.
Was so chuffed to get this done, thank you to Gaj and Ojay for heading up and leading the way. :)!

Few of my photos ~

Originally had a go last October with Gaj, Bigjobs and Paradox but we were seen :/ annoying thing was that the security/police did nothing and waited till
we came down so we could have potentially gotten all of us up there but o well.

Think Jobs had fun though :)

14091312965_a913c2599b_c.jpg

So for the record I actually climbed the ladder and after climbing many gas holder ladders and the 02 this was easily the
narliest of them all - excuse the grainy shots.
I gave Gaj a head start :p before heading up.

13904440137_bc0588ed47_c.jpg

Darn focus...
14067965286_3b406d6cce_c.jpg

14091549584_3d2364ffe5_c.jpg

14067956806_84478f7ef5_c.jpg

13904454817_9bc61cfb5e_c.jpg

13904499400_27e8eb74b9_c.jpg

Ojay on his final ascent

14087844121_ae13245430_c.jpg

13904459629_a9c15b4987_c.jpg

13904491860_9580ddf2bf_c.jpg

13904455479_aff2e5aa22_c.jpg

Thank you to Gaj and Ojay ~ awesome venture! :D

~Thank you for looking :)!~

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
Even after seeing the chimney in real life, and listening to you all talk what you'd need to do to get up the other day I still can't imagine the actual feat it took getting up there, for anyone. Serious props to all involved!

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
Although can't believe you didn't hoist one of the manikins up after you. :D

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Still can't believe we roped up the shaft of this right next to a perfectly good ladder :eek: A true dick move on the biggest phallic symbol in London :D

Top night though & massive props to all involved for an epic climb :thumb

Battersea Penis Station - Done!!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Can't say I ever noticed the ladder there... safe?

The most amazing thing is that you found a parking space...

1.jpg

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Sick. One of my fav things i've done in london dangling off that chim. Pretty magic eh?

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Massive props for getting this done. We had a gander at that ladder thing a few weeks back when we popped in but decided against it in the end.

Great to see a picture looking down the chimney, awesome stuff