real time web analytics
Report - - Battery Steele - Peaks Island, Maine | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Battery Steele - Peaks Island, Maine

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

analepsis

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Aside from being some 3,000 miles away this was not a very intrepid exploration. No subterfuge necessary as this abandoned military site is open to the public. Even so I thought it was pretty interesting.

I was out in the States over Christmas and New Year visiting friends and family. A couple of days after New Years I was in Portland, Maine, with a day to kill. I took a ferry out to Peaks Island. It was awful chilly and I felt glad I wasn't on the mailboat which is a 3-hour roundtrip.

Anyway I got to Peaks Island and walked a nice trail through the woods, past a frozen, snow-covered lake and out onto the coast road and down the coast till I saw the signs for Battery Steele and so I went to have a look and recorded these pictures for posterity.

It isn't very big ...although when you're halfway down the pitch-dark tunnel it feels about as big as outer space!

Battery-Steele-001-28DL.jpg

Battery-Steele-003-28DL.jpg

Battery-Steele-002-28DL.jpg

Battery-Steele-004-28DL.jpg

Battery-Steele-005-28DL.jpg

Battery-Steele-009-28DL.jpg

The structure seems to be entirely symmetrical.

Battery-Steele-008-28DL.jpg

Battery-Steele-010-28DL.jpg

Battery-Steele-012-28DL.jpg

Battery-Steele-014-28DL.jpg

Battery-Steele-016-28DL.jpg

Battery-Steele-017-28DL.jpg

Battery-Steele-015i-28DL.jpg

This one is a bit hammy, but is what the sky looked like at the time, and the sun was peeking out and with the snow it made it really hard to get a balanced picture....

Anyway, that was about the extent of my day out at Battery Steele.

Last edited by a moderator: