real time web analytics
Report - - Bawdsey ROTOR Bunker | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bawdsey ROTOR Bunker

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Sunny100

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First report, I apologise for the photo quality, my camera isn't the best and it's pitch black down there.
History
(stolen from English heritage)

The site of Bawdsey radar station built in the early 1950s as part of the Rotor programme to modernise the United Kingdom's radar defences. This was a replacement station for the Chain Home station at Bawdsey, located to the south of this site. The Rotor station was fitted with a Type 7 Mark 3 radar head for local search and control, two Type 14 (Mark 8 and Mark 9) plan positioning radar heads, four Type 13 Mark 6 and two Type 13 Mark 7 height finder radar heads, and three Type 54 Mark 3 radar heads for search and control with no IFF (Identification Friend or Foe). The radar heads were mounted on plinths and 25 feet gantries, apart from the Type 54 arrays that were mounted on 200 feet towers. The site was equipped with a guardhouse designed to resemble a bungalow, which gave access to a two-storey, underground R3 operations block. The R3 bunker was completed in 1954. Newly developed Type 80 radar and its associated modulator building was installed in 1958, with two AN/FPS 6 height finding radars. By 1963 Bawdsey had become a Master Radar Station, but in June 1964 it switched to operating as a satellite station to RAF Neatishead. It resumed Master Radar Station status in 1966 until 1974, after a fire damaged Neatishead's control centre. Bawdsey closed in 1975 and in 1977 features of the Rotor station were demolished, including plinths, towers and the Type 80 modulator building. In 1979 Bawdsey reopened as a Bloodhound Mk2 surface to air (SAM) missile site. The guardhouse also remains in derelict condition, and is still attached to the R3 bunker via an access tunnel. The R3 bunker is disused and has been sealed shut.

The Explore

I've been here a few times now as it's a really interesting place. So the first time I plan to go, me and two friends head down to the site. After about an hour drive we find somewhere to park. Within seconds we've found a way into the main compound, however when looking for an entrance it was slightly harder as the entrance/exits have been fully concreted in. After exploring the ground level of the base nearly giving up on the bunker, with a bit of luck we found our way in.

Photos
DSCF0543.JPG

DSCF0517.JPG

DSCF0523.JPG

DSCF0524.JPG

DSCF0528.JPG

DSCF0535.JPG

DSCF0520.JPG

This is a really interesting place to look around. I hope you enjoyed, thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF0519.JPG
    DSCF0519.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCF0539.JPG
    DSCF0539.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF0525.JPG
    DSCF0525.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Nice 1, is it the flooding getting bad down there now

Not especially, we re-visited this weekend with some friends, and it's still the same as I remember it being in Feb/March time, if anything it might be a little lower than it was.