real time web analytics
Report - - Baxter Brothers Jute Mill, Dundee 23/01/10 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Baxter Brothers Jute Mill, Dundee 23/01/10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Visited with Raddog, Dweeb and Oxygen Thief.

A lovely, if slightly pooey, Jute Mill to kick off the second day of our Scotland road trip. At first we thought there wasn't a way in but you know with these things....it's ALWAYS the last place you look!
OT and Dweeb headed straight for the tower but Raddog and I took one look at the "stairs" and thought better of it. I nearly slipped over on the floating floor of liquid pigeon shit. Utter filth!

Here's a bit of information about Jute! Hessian happens to be in my top 5 favourite fabrics so I was extremely pleased to find some of the genuine article lying around.

Jute is a long, soft, shiny vegetable fibre that can be spun into coarse, strong threads. It is produced from plants in the genus Corchorus, family Tiliaceae.

Jute is one of the most affordable natural fibres and is second only to cotton in amount produced and variety of uses. Jute fibres are composed primarily of the plant materials cellulose (major component of plant fibre) and lignin (major components of wood fibre). It is thus a ligno-cellulosic fibre that is partially a textile fibre and partially wood. It falls into the bast fibre category (fibre collected from bast or skin of the plant) along with kenaf, industrial hemp, flax (linen), ramie, etc. The industrial term for jute fibre is raw jute. The fibres are off-white to brown, and 1–4 meters (3–12 feet) long.

Jute fibre is often called hessian; jute fabrics are also called hessian cloth and jute sacks are called gunny bags in some European countries. The fabric made from jute is popularly known as burlap in North America.

DSC_0002R.jpg

DSC_0004R-2.jpg

DSC_0006R-2.jpg

DSC_0009R-1.jpg

DSC_0012R-2.jpg

DSC_0014R.jpg

DSC_0016R-1.jpg

DSC_0020R.jpg

DSC_0021R.jpg

DSC_0022R.jpg

DSC_0023R-2.jpg

DSC_0025R-1.jpg