real time web analytics
Report - - BBC Sports Ground and Gas Holders, Motspur Park, Surrey October-2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - BBC Sports Ground and Gas Holders, Motspur Park, Surrey October-2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

kkj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Having miserably failed at our first planned location “HMP Latchmere House” we decided to head over to our backup site, the old BBC sports ground.

Brief History
Former BBC Sports Ground Clubhouse The sports ground become disused and was sold in 2005 to a developer who intended to build a leisure and fitness centre on the site. However local opposition to the proposed scheme was strong, and the latest plans (in October 2007) are suggesting that the sports ground could be turned into a cemetery. This is because planning regulations require the land to remain as a green space and a cemetery is one of the very few options now open to the owner

20151025_165542.jpg

After a bit of climbing we gained access to the site which was pretty trashed, although there were still a few hidden gems.
20151025_165938.jpg
20151025_170006.jpg
20151025_170202.jpg

The basement was fully flooded and I didn’t fancy a swim!

20151025_165850.jpg

A few other shots:
20151025_170640.jpg
20151025_170752.jpg
20151025_171111.jpg
20151025_171124.jpg
GOPR0481.JPG

_____________________________________________________________________________________

We immediately noticed the gas towers upon our arrival at the BBC sports ground and felt it was to good an opportunity to pass, even if we hadn’t done anything very high before (and I remember thinking halfway up the tower that that was for good reason) Anyway, having left the BBC we made our way to the tower and then starting ascending the metal ladders – I have to admit we both wimped out and called it a day 3 quarters of the way up but were still pretty pleased with our efforts!

I felt the need to include a couple of shots from the tower, but my camera was WAY out of its depths!

20151025_174431.jpg

A passing train:
20151025_180411.jpg

A long way down or up!
20151025_180834.jpg
20151025_180902.jpg

Comments and feedback welcome. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nice couple of explores there, can't believe the old sports club buildings are even still there to be honest.

PS Don't post access details.

Reactions: kkj

kkj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice couple of explores there, can't believe the old sports club buildings are even still there to be honest.

PS Don't post access details.
Cheers! Ah no worries, did have 2nd thoughts about the comment that's been removed.

DirtyJigsaw

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I fancy those gas holders myself. Will have to check it out sometime, good on you for getting up there tho, even if it was 3/4 way up

kkj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I fancy those gas holders myself. Will have to check it out sometime, good on you for getting up there tho, even if it was 3/4 way up
Great view from up there! I may have to give it another go ..hopefully get to the top haha

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
HMP Latchmere House hasnt got long,i kno a chap who works for the gas people and they where cutting off supplies and removing pipes etc..demo apparently is coming soon

Suburban Slicker

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thank you for posting these photos. I spent many days watching rugby and playing cricket, tennis and snooker in my youth! From the shots of the main hall (taken I think from what used to be the main entrance from the car park), on the left hand side there was the bar area (where you took a few more shots). Upstairs from the bar were changing rooms. On the other side of the hall used to be the kitchen area and dining hall. Upstairs from there was a lovely snooker table, and chairs overlooking the sports ground. Did you get that far?

kkj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No worries, glad you like! We managed to get a good look around all the site. I just tried to post the better pics I had taken.