real time web analytics
Report - - Beelitz Heilstätten from above - January 2015 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Beelitz Heilstätten from above - January 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

robham

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yep - this place has been done so many times before that I thought I'd see if we could get a different angle on it this time. Its still one of my favourite places to go though....

[video=vimeo;118364672]http://vimeo.com/118364672[/video]

The first thing to realise about Beelitz-Heilstätten Sanatorium is that it is big, really big, and far more than you can explore in a day, or even a whole weekend.

It was built as a state of the art Tuberculosis Sanatorium just over 100 years ago, but since the Soviet Army occupation ended in 1995 large parts of the sprawling complex are abandoned and have fallen into disrepair.

The surgery building, Beelitz Heilstatten.
More interesting than the architecture itself is the history of this incredible site. It has been home to the imperial German Army, the Red Cross, treated Adolf Hitler’s injuries sustained during the battle of the Somme, been the stalking grounds for a sadistic serial killer Wolfgang Schmidt, who murdered five women and a child, and provided shelter for Erich Honecker under the protection of the Soviets, when he was forced to resign as leader of the East German government and faced charges of war crimes in 1990.

Since the Soviets left in 1995, of the roughly sixty buildings that made up the formal hospital most remain in various states of repair, ranging from the recently refurbished disinfection station – now a hotel, and the former Men’s Pavilion, currently in use as a neurological rehabilitation clinic, to the more run down examples, such as the ruins of the Women’s Pavilion whose first floor was totally destroyed by allied bombs during the second world war, and never rebuilt.

Inside one of the Womens Lung disease buildings B2, Beelitz Heilstatten.
The complex, designed by architects Schmieden and Boethke, was initially a Sanatorium built by the Berlin workers’ health insurance corporation in 1898, to provide a state of the art care facility for Tuberculosis patients as at the time the disease accounted for one in three deaths, and almost half the of all cases of incapacity to work among Berlin’s workforce.

It’s construction at the time was unique. Surrounded by large spacious gardens, the pavilions, were laid out along a north-south axis and had large arched windows, and high ceilings ensuring the patients were exposed to maximum sunshine, while huge underground tiled ducts, big enough to walk through, channelled a supply of fresh air from outside which was heated and moisturised before being released inside the buildings. A complex of underground tunnels also linked the buildings basements together and it was through these that municipal heating and services were provided from the central heating system that served the whole site, another first for a development of that time. These tunnels also served as a way to move supplies such as laundry and food around the site regardless of the weather conditions on the surface.

The services underneath the Surgery Building, Beelitz Heilstatten.
Unfortunately the time spent as a civilian facility was fairly short lived and with the outbreak of World War One the site was placed under the control of the German Imperial Army and by 1919 it had treated approximately 12,800 soldiers, including a young Adolf Hitler who had been wounded in the leg during the battle of the Somme in 1916.

The military use of the hospitals continued through World War II by the Red Cross, during which time allied bombs practically destroyed the first floor of the Women’s Pavilion which still lies in ruins today.

Following World War II the complex was a restricted military area under the control of the West Group of the Soviet Army and became their largest hospital complex in service outside of Soviet territory.

Last edited:

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
Dude, :thumbs , you've most certifiably do have a different angle on it there!

just a FYI, The OP's Link & OT's link work for me ...

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Keeps locking up for me ? although the teaser looked good

Some info/history would be good on the tread IMO

Nice to see someone getting some use of their Quadcopter at least

robham

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the feedback. I have added a bit of info about Beelitz (but I'm pretty sure its only stuff you will have read many times before- sorry!)
Very offended you have refereed to my device as a quadcopter though. It has too many rotors for that :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the feedback. I have added a bit of info about Beelitz (but I'm pretty sure its only stuff you will have read many times before- sorry!)
Very offended you have r;)efereed to my device as a quadcopter though. It has too many rotors for that :thumb

I didn't know about it TBH but it's what we're supposed to add anyway.

Sorry for losing you some Rotors ;) as I couldn't view the footage I just guessed. That said I could have said Tri-copter lol

So what are you flying & with what Camera ? Always fancied a Hexcopter to use my GH3 I had at the time but as I don't have time to fly my Quads that fizzled out

Hopefully I'll be able to view it later

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
That's how you make a video, it's also how you give the world something different, and not a gas mask or blood stained wedding dress in sight. Thank you.

Tomw1989

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top work this is mate! :thumb

Loving the snow and the shots from above, gives it a totally different perspective!

I'm also liking your Treufelsburg video! Vogelsang would be another good site to see from the air if you are in the area again. :D

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Pretty epic stuff! Thought you were going to fly in the window at one point! Nice to see such a different approach.

robham

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah Vogelsang looks ideal. I dont know anything about the place but think it needs to go on the list for the next visit to Germany. Its going to be a while though as off to Croatia and Bosnia again shortly, but think Vogelsang will come next!

robham

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah excellent. Have you used it anywhere yet? as Asom said I bet Vogelsang would be a great place to do. Same with Krampnitz maybe.....

trailboss99

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah excellent. Have you used it anywhere yet? as Asom said I bet Vogelsang would be a great place to do. Same with Krampnitz maybe.....
Not anything challenging as yet, I'm still learning to fly the thing. The last thing I want to do is wrap a grands worth of quad around a piece of steel. I have a mate who moves and sells houses and he has a couple of acres of them parked for sale. I'm going to get some practice in close quarters there first and then choose a location. Not a lot around here (South East Queensland, AU) but I'll fine somewhere URBEX related to have a play.

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details